Music Speaks Louder Than Words | Teen Ink

Music Speaks Louder Than Words

“When words fail, music speaks.” For every emotion known to man, there seems to be a song that can embody the feelings that go along with that emotion. There are songs about sadness, joy, fear, anger, confusion, and love. There are even songs without words, and even these tunes can have a powerful effect on a person. What is music, exactly? Some may say it is the combination of a tune, notes, rhythms, and maybe even words. But to me, I find that music is much more than a simple melody. Music lives and breathes everywhere—in the soft whisper of a summer breeze, in the crashing and rolling of waves in an ocean, or even in the beating of a baby’s heart. Music is the rhythmic pulse of life, and it gives life to everything.

People often go through life, oblivious to the sweet sounds of music that surround them. They go about their days, walking through busy streets and passing people by without looking anyone in the eye. People forget that simply saying “hello” to another person can be music. I have found, however, that by giving a small part of myself to others each day, I can be an instrument of love. I, too, can create music. Sacrificing time out of my day is a hard task to accomplish, for I become busier and busier each day. But the rewards that come from helping another person are endless, especially when I see how much I can contribute to another person’s happiness. This is a great and powerful gift that we have as human beings. We have the ability to nurture and take care of other people’s joy. By loving and caring for others, we can truly be instruments of God’s love for His people.

Music is more than words put to a tune; it’s the flow of goodness and life that can be found in every situation, good or bad. It’s a helping hand when someone fell down. It’s a loving embrace after not seeing each other for years. It’s a tear that falls down the cheek of a baby. That’s the thing about music—it is different for everyone. Music is there to help us when things are too overwhelming to put into words. Music is a constant that will forever embody emotions of love and life. Music is the rhythm of life.

astonishinglyamanda BRONZE, Hamilton, New Jersey

"Without music life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

I really love this. It's so true and you worded it so well.

GreenDayFan SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

"Every story has an end, but in life, every ending is just a new beginning."
-Uptown Girls

Music lyrics can express more than words can. In my eyes anyways.

Flightless GOLD, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

"If it's all you've got embrace it." and "Anything is possible"(But not everything is probable) :/

I plan on being a singer... I've been trying to get more information that i don't know about the career, and I practice ALL the time, but music is just something that no human can perfect, it's something you have to seek out, it's the natural love and happiness of the world. :)

on May. 15 2010 at 10:50 am
BeYOUtiful_13 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
~Marilyn Monroe

hey. I totally agree.

songofheaven BRONZE, East Amherst, New York

I have found power in the mysteries of thought. -Euripides

I agree. Many people don't see the music in life, and I think this is exactly what people need to hear! Great Article! Thanks!

liy_g BRONZE said...
on Apr. 1 2010 at 12:54 am
liy_g BRONZE, Madera, California

"You want to know someone? Heart mind and soul? Ask him to tell you about when he was born. What you get wont be the truth; i will be a story. and nothing is more telling then a story."
-'The Thirteenth Tale'

music can be one of those things that is almost impossible to discribe in words because so much about it is from within our selves, but you were spot on. thank you for writing this. i can just feel the love and passion radiating from each word.

theflamingorange BRONZE, San Jose, California

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." -Jane Austen

Groovy, man!

Beanzalib said...
Beautiful, totaly. (did I just ruin it with the totaly?) I agree completly.

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
on Oct. 8 2009 at 9:41 am
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

TOTALLY! Music is more than just something to entertain you or nice to listen to. Music is heart, music is a life style, music is a gift to the world to be appreciated. ROCK ON!

BINX said...
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!! I AM AN EXTREAM MUSIC LOVER!!!! I DON'T LEAVE MY HOUSE WITHOUT MY IPOD! EVERYTHING ANYBODY SAYS ALWAYS REMINDS ME OF MUSIC! GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!!!