Music Speaks Louder Than Words | Teen Ink

Music Speaks Louder Than Words

April 28, 2009
By Anonymous

“When words fail, music speaks.” For every emotion known to man, there seems to be a song that can embody the feelings that go along with that emotion. There are songs about sadness, joy, fear, anger, confusion, and love. There are even songs without words, and even these tunes can have a powerful effect on a person. What is music, exactly? Some may say it is the combination of a tune, notes, rhythms, and maybe even words. But to me, I find that music is much more than a simple melody. Music lives and breathes everywhere—in the soft whisper of a summer breeze, in the crashing and rolling of waves in an ocean, or even in the beating of a baby’s heart. Music is the rhythmic pulse of life, and it gives life to everything.

People often go through life, oblivious to the sweet sounds of music that surround them. They go about their days, walking through busy streets and passing people by without looking anyone in the eye. People forget that simply saying “hello” to another person can be music. I have found, however, that by giving a small part of myself to others each day, I can be an instrument of love. I, too, can create music. Sacrificing time out of my day is a hard task to accomplish, for I become busier and busier each day. But the rewards that come from helping another person are endless, especially when I see how much I can contribute to another person’s happiness. This is a great and powerful gift that we have as human beings. We have the ability to nurture and take care of other people’s joy. By loving and caring for others, we can truly be instruments of God’s love for His people.

Music is more than words put to a tune; it’s the flow of goodness and life that can be found in every situation, good or bad. It’s a helping hand when someone fell down. It’s a loving embrace after not seeing each other for years. It’s a tear that falls down the cheek of a baby. That’s the thing about music—it is different for everyone. Music is there to help us when things are too overwhelming to put into words. Music is a constant that will forever embody emotions of love and life. Music is the rhythm of life.