Walking down “Pasilyo” with sunkissed Lola | Teen Ink

Walking down “Pasilyo” with sunkissed Lola

Counting down the days and nights, when that moment arrives, when you see the Aisle or in Tagalog “Pasilyo '' is where that special moment changes one's life forever, as those few steps down that aisle will change you from finance to husband and wife. Sunkissed Lola’s hit single “Pasilyo '' embodies that single moment in one's life as it takes its listeners on a mesmerizing journey through its lyrics and instrumental play. 

Written and sung by one of the lead vocalists of Sunkissed Lola, Alvin Serito 

explores the idea of marriage and that feeling of watching your lover walking down the aisle.  In his song, Alivin tells the story of two lovers being wed.  As Alivin begins to sing he captivates his listeners to its story through his voice. With lines such as “Hahagkan na’t ‘di ka bitawan Wala na ‘kong mahihiling pa” (Kiss you and not let go, I don’t desire anything else) each verse in the song is sung with such raw emotion, which highlights his vulnerability within the lyrics, connecting him to the hearts of his listeners with each line and verse. 

Through its smooth guitar rifts, the instrumental composure of “Pasilyo'' creates a warm setting that invites listeners to its soothing nature. With its opening chords, it develops and creates a soothing atmosphere that pulls the listeners in. Combined with the song's lyrics, it further develops the layers of emotion within the song, perfectly complementing the lyrics, and creating a perfect unison of instrument and voice, that pulls the listeners in for more. 

The core of “Pasilyo”, which lies within its theme of reminiscent and longing, invokes its listeners onto a musical journey. “Pasilyo” is a song for all who long for that bittersweet feeling of love, as it´s a song that looks back on the past where it gives its listeners a sense of nostalgia as it captures the beautiful moment of getting married(even though you haven’t been married).  From its guitar riff to the love story embedded within its lyrics, “Pasilyo '' from Sunkissed Lola is a modern-day masterpiece as the single showcases music’s ability to resonate with one's feelings deeply. With repetition of lines like “Ikaw at Ikaw” (It’s only you)  further accentuates the feeling of longing as paired with lines like “ Araw-araw kong dala-dala Paboritong palangin ko'y Makasama ka sa pagtanda” (I carry it with me every day My favorite prayer is To grow old with you)  envelopes their listeners into that feeling of almost nostalgia envelop vivid images in your head that gives you that taste of longing for love, Alvin embeds into the song, through his in genius word play and use of figurative language. 

What inspired my review piece on the Sunkissed Lolaś hit single ¨Pasilyo” was mainly my girlfriend (who´s Japanese and Vietnamese) and how she still loves the song even though she can´t understand it. Even though it is one of many songs we listen to, this song especially still holds the most sentimental value as even though it is a song sung in Tagalog it shows her effort in trying things I enjoy as well as enjoying a piece of my culture is something that resonates with me more and gives me something that helps think of her during hard times.