'The Lighthouse': What makes it shine so bright? | Teen Ink

'The Lighthouse': What makes it shine so bright?

Based on a similar story in Wales, about an old lighthouse, this film by Robert Eggers The Lighthouse is a psychological deterioration thriller of two characters perfectly captured within a frame of a camera invoking us in claustrophobia and horror of what it's like being isolated from the rest of the world.  With its precise camera shots and lighting, one can feel the distorted ambience of that world and feel the characters slowly get engulfed in absolute insanity. 

What gets overlooked in many films is the way the lights, camera, and color play a vital role in bringing a film to life. It is these aspects that create the world of a film and set the tone and stage. A film without these things may not be considered a film at all. What makes The Lighthouse such a perfect and intricate work of art is Jarin Blaschke, the cinematographer behind The Lighthouse, knowledge on keeping the camera still that encapsulates the exact moment our characters go insane. The lights shine perfectly to paint the outlines of our characters emerging from the shadows as they speak to one another. Blaschke's filmed this movie in broad daylight but was able to turn that into a black deserted environment with black and white film which was used entirely to film along with camera lenses nearly a century year old. These lenses make the atmosphere pop and show more grainy uneven textures and allows the black and white color to cancel out and remove all  other colors which makes the setting appear more old and spooky. The nice part  about the black and white is that it makes the color red appear dark and adds imperfections to the human skin. The pigmentation of the skin appears darker and messier which adds to the horrors and feelings of the characters. The combination of the film and the colors creates the withered effect that really drags in the audience and makes the background feel grainy and uneasy to look at.

Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe are extraordinary actors and contribute a ton to the atmosphere of the film but the colors and camerawork enhance and add on to their emotions which give us more unique and detailed parts. None of the visuals and emphasis would be possible without the use of elite frame and color knowledge combined. It is films like these that catch your attention and make you want to learn more about the cinematic process. Year after year, countless movies are being released with new ways of storytelling. Whether it's using old technology or new technology, every film is unique and creates its own inexplicable atmosphere.

I chose writing my review on this certain topic because I love films as well as cinematography and anything involving camera work. It is something I am very eager and passionate about and writing a review about this can help people and myself better understand the more complex details of filmmaking. Robert Egger´s 2019 film, The Lighthouse is a film that I recently watched and a film I consider to be in my top 10 of all time so it was pretty cool and amazing to talk about and help breakdown. In order to start this review I had watched the movie again as well as watched multiple behind the scenes breakdown youtube videos mainly about the cinematography aspects.  What really helped me was watching ending breakdown videos of the film itself to really better understand what I watched and how I can talk about it without giving away any real spoilers. I also saw videos of light theory in movies to even better understand how those components bring a film to life. Watching the videos was super helpful and I learned many new things I did not know before which I used a lot in my writing. So much information was being poured into my head but it was pretty hard to really write everything down. It felt as if most of the stuff was being repeated and I did not want to overload my review entirely with facts. I tried breaking it down in a way that made sense to me and easier for my audience to read but also having kept those important key details.