Music and Concentration in Education | Teen Ink

Music and Concentration in Education

By AshrithT BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
AshrithT BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey

“Bro I can’t concentrate, it’s too loud here. You know what, I’m listening to music.” This is the case for many students across the world. To commence, numerous classrooms have a loud, distracting environment. Many students in such scenarios listen to music to help them concentrate. In fact, music is not only something to listen to for fun as well as a hobby. Soon after, music evolved into a tool that countless people listen to, to achieve concentration for themselves. Some may listen to it as a noise that can help them focus when performing certain activities in a distractive environment. After further research, one could say that music is a helpful tool that provides focus, especially in education.

Initially, it was investigated to see whether music would increase concentration when listened to in class. Before the investigation, one could say that music did indeed enlarge concentration when listened to in class. When embarking on this examination at Brooklawn Middle School, it was certainly found that music caused concentration to climb when listened to in class (Brooklawn Investigation). However, it was also found that some people who listened to music were off of their objectives causing them to be distracted (Brooklawn Investigation). On the other hand, some students weren’t listening to music at all due to being in a situation where they were not allowed to listen to music (Brooklawn Investigation).

Additionally, listening to music can also be an educational issue. Many students have distractive learning environments that make working and staying on task next to impossible. In the article, titled, “Does music really help you concentrate?” it says, that students prefer to listen to music to give themselves something to listen to so they can focus (Burnett). “It provides non-invasive noise and pleasurable feelings, to effectively neutralize the unconscious attention system’s ability to distract us. It’s much like giving small children a new toy to play with while you’re trying to get some work done without them disturbing you,” says Burnett to prove the point (Burnett). When explored further, research has shown that students listen to music in such conditions because it creates feelings regarding focus like relaxation, motivation, and again, focus (Gepp). What does this information prove with your thesis? Equally paramount, Gepp also states that, “...music can motivate you, improve your mood, and help you relax. It can even help you focus so you can study or work. But different types of music can have different effects (Gepp).” reasoning needed here  Once a survey was conducted at Brooklawn Middle School, 66.7% of people who answered a survey on music said that they do listen (Survey). Subsequently, 63.3 of the people who answered the survey have also said that they feel concentrated when listening to music (Survey). Following that, such evidence shows that granting students the ability to listen to music would result in them being able to accomplish what the students are tasked with when it is used in the right way.

In conclusion, places where the working space is disruptive produce students who listen to music in order to focus on corresponding workspace situations. Although there are various reasons why people listen to music, one of the biggest and major reasons is distraction. When such a useful and helpful tool is removed from the hands of students, focusing can be next to impossible. At the same time, it chokes the positive learning abilities and characteristics of a student. At the end of the day, it is evident that educators should yearn to help create an outstanding environment for students to work in. If that isn’t possible, educators should at least be given the right to listen to music.

Written for an assignment in English class.