Twilight vs. Harry Potter

The two biggest teen series are at war once again. I remember a time where both stories peacefully resided together and all was at ease, but with the premiere of Twilight, the first novel in the saga, things started to get a little heated. Twilight and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince were both scheduled to be released on the same day, but as the day got closer Harry Potter was rescheduled to the summer instead of winter. This aggravated may loyal Potter fans. Twilight, on the other hand, remained the same and got phenomenal reviews.

For all the people who have been living under a rock for the past year, Twilight is about a clumsy, serene, fragile girl named Bella Swan. Bella moves from sunny Arizona to the always wet town of Forks, Washington. There she meets a mysterious boy, Edward Cullen, and falls madly in love with him only to find out that he is a vampire who craves her blood.

Harry Potter on the other hand is about a boy whose parents died when he was just a baby. Left to live with his cruel Uncle, Aunt and cousin, Harry thinks he is nothing special. But on his eleventh birthday he is informed that he is wizard and sets off for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Once at school he learns that he is “the boy who lived” that meaning he is the only person to have survived the killing curse in the entire world. And to top it all off he must defeat the most evil, powerful, and dark wizard of all time, Lord Voldemort, all while trying to fit in at a school where everyone knows his name, and everyone knows everything about him.

Two very different stories, but still at war with one another. Some people are like me, loving both worlds. But others stick with there book, not giving the other side a chance. So now I ask you. Why can’t Harry Potter and Twilight exist peacefully together?

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:26 am:
Twilight is not even in the same league as harry potter. I like Twilight more, but I know H.P. is way better. Hary Potter has more imagination and better writing in a single chapter than all the twilight books.

Milena This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm :
I have so much respect for you.

Fires said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 6:55 pm:
Harry Potter is all love and peace. To know what you have and be happy with it. Try to make it wonderful for you and the people around you. To know that at the end you will get rewarded for what you went through.

wooget101 replied...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm :
i think both stink. both are about nothing but the DEVIL. they are both about stupid things that could never happen and stuff that shoudn't have ever even been made up... well that's just my opinion

krazykathleen replied...
May 8, 2010 at 5:38 pm :
Wooget101, Harry Potter is not about the devil!! If you've read the series, you would hopefully realize the story is about good attempting to defeat evil. There's not a single thing in it about any religion whatsoever, including the devil! Even if it was about the devil (which it's not) there's no reason why you can't read it!! It's good to read things even if you don't agree with them. It lets you hear other opinions and opens you up to othe ideas. Also, of course that stuff can't happen- that'... (more »)

Fashionista said...
Mar. 25, 2010 at 4:54 pm:
Team Harry forever

HeadshotM said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 4:25 am:
Twilight is in the dark, but Harry Potter pierces the skies and lights up the world with the lightning scar

Sunshine said...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 11:43 am:
I have read both books and think they are both wonderful but now I am a Twilight fan.

Kelz1141 said...
He who should not be named!

Head_in_the_Clouds said...
I'm a Potter fan, but I gave Twilight a chance. I loved it a first, but as time grew on, and people were like "Twilight this.." and "Twilight that.." I admit, it got kinda dull. But still, both GREAT books.

Elle R. said...
i fell in love with harry potter when i watched it 4 the first time on my 12 b-day. im 17 now and i recently watched twilight and i think its a good movie. i was a little reluctant 2 read the books at first b-cuz my parents R not in2 the vampire thing and neither was i 2 B honest. but people cept telling me it was good so when the movie came out we got it and ifell in love with it. harry potter and twilight have nothing in common but they R both awsome. :)

kennedy_rowzz said...
I totally agree with you!<3

Spellbinder said...
I totally agree with you!
I've loved Harry Potter my whole life, and I fell in love with Twilight about two years ago.
They are both incredible series, but I hate it when they are declared "at war."
They're completly different stories. Just because Robert Pattinson stared in both movies doesn't make them the same!

goldrush77 said...
Sept. 10, 2009 at 11:49 am:
i think that all of the twilight books are a little bit of the same. bella gets in trouble and all of the vampires have to save her. i think harry potter keeps things different.

aprilfool6784 said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 12:37 am:
i've never read twilight, at first i wanted to, but now i dont. its because all of my friends are totally and annoyingly obsessed. i know the story pretty well now. actually, my art teacher pointed out a "fault" in the book. she said that girls, when they read this, will act as if the world is a fairytale, and that their prince charming is going to come and save them from the evils of the world. girls can easily get hopelessly lost in life reading these books, and waiting for it all to happen... (more »)

blue eyed hippy chick said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 12:31 am:
I really liked Twilight when i first read it... But on second glance. I found problems. As before mentioned Bella's complete dependance upon Edward, but also some points that just didn't belong. Not to mention the complete fairy tale ending. As of now I want to read Harry Potter and compare the two. Everyone I know says that they are good but I want my own opinion. Really made me think. Thanks for the idea.

E.L.W. said...
Jun. 15, 2009 at 2:08 pm:
HP and Twilight are equally good? I think many pre-teens and teenagers are a little blind to the poor literature behind the "happy-ever-after" romance Edward and Bella share. Does anybody notice how anti-feminist Bella is, always waiting for her hot boyfriend to save her? Or the clear failings of Breaking Dawn (i.e. all the built up conflict is solved unrealistically within the first 200 pages, then SM spends the rest of it building up to conflict that never happens)? The overused adjectives tha... (more »)

Potter. said...
Jun. 13, 2009 at 5:14 pm:
I'm fine with someone sticking with their book IF they read the other one as well. If someone says "Twilight is ten times better" but haven't read Harry Potter than they aren't being fair. And vice versa. That is why I thought I'd read Twilight last summer. I didn't like it. I thought it was poorly written and unoriginal, so yes it makes me angry when Harry Potter is insulted and Twilight praised.

I probably wouldn't mind Twilight if it weren't for the stupid ... (more »)

pinksage33 said...
Jun. 12, 2009 at 9:07 pm:
I liked your line "For all the people who have been living under a rock for the past year." Harry Potter and twilight are equally as good. Can't people split there love?