Twilight vs. Harry Potter

The two biggest teen series are at war once again. I remember a time where both stories peacefully resided together and all was at ease, but with the premiere of Twilight, the first novel in the saga, things started to get a little heated. Twilight and Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince were both scheduled to be released on the same day, but as the day got closer Harry Potter was rescheduled to the summer instead of winter. This aggravated may loyal Potter fans. Twilight, on the other hand, remained the same and got phenomenal reviews.

For all the people who have been living under a rock for the past year, Twilight is about a clumsy, serene, fragile girl named Bella Swan. Bella moves from sunny Arizona to the always wet town of Forks, Washington. There she meets a mysterious boy, Edward Cullen, and falls madly in love with him only to find out that he is a vampire who craves her blood.

Harry Potter on the other hand is about a boy whose parents died when he was just a baby. Left to live with his cruel Uncle, Aunt and cousin, Harry thinks he is nothing special. But on his eleventh birthday he is informed that he is wizard and sets off for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Once at school he learns that he is “the boy who lived” that meaning he is the only person to have survived the killing curse in the entire world. And to top it all off he must defeat the most evil, powerful, and dark wizard of all time, Lord Voldemort, all while trying to fit in at a school where everyone knows his name, and everyone knows everything about him.

Two very different stories, but still at war with one another. Some people are like me, loving both worlds. But others stick with there book, not giving the other side a chance. So now I ask you. Why can’t Harry Potter and Twilight exist peacefully together?

Jess15 said...
I do like both but Harry Potter will always have my heart. I do think that the Twilight books are better than the movies, but some of the Harry Potter movies are better than some of the books except a few of them. Either way, I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!!

Luckystar78 said...
Harry Potter is clearly better! I have read both, and judged both equally, and at first I thought hey twilight is ok but when I got to the bit about the happily ever after I realised how empty it is. Harry Potter is full of imagination, and unlike twilight, actually SUSPENSE - plus there are strong female characters unlike hapless Bella and everyone included in the book has their own personality...I am a Harry Potter fan for life - forget twilight, it'll be forgotten when the next predicta... (more »)

JessicaRae7 said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:00 am:
As well written as this piece was, it did nothing to break the war. I'm sorry to say this but you just added fuel to the fire. But it was very well written!!

JessicaRae7 said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:58 am:
I used to be like you. I loved both books. But then I found Twilight fans insulting Harry Potter as a whole, saying that Harry Potter characters were stolen from the twilight series and other things. That is what put me off the series for good. Now I've gone back to my childhood. I was a loyal fan and HBP was supposed to come out on my birthday. So do you see why I would be made at the fact it was changed for some other movie? Not to mention that people call Twilight more realistic. Now I have n... (more »)

Vagialena said...
I would call myself a really loyal Harry Potter fan, so it is not a surprise that I will say that the Harry Potter series is better. The reason is that it is more innocent, more imaginary, more sensitive and more thrilling than Twilight series. I have watched all movies, but I just can't get how that series became a phenomenon. I think that it is predictable and stereotyped. The fragile girl that finds her hero, then comes the enemy and they live together happily ever after... I don't think that... (more »)

vazenitran98 said...
Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:34 am:
Harry Potter is actually more interesting. It lives in a rather larger world.

MyNameIsBlue said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm:
i love both worls EQUALLY. i love harry potter a smidth more but if i told anyone in my house that they wud skin me alive(there simpleminded and dont like the wondorous wrld of harry potter) but if i hadnt watch twilight i wud have never read harry potter sooo.....

ravneet said...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 1:01 am:
i have no problem with people reading twilight. but when those twitards say that harry potter is kiddish or unreal or is not a love story. it just angers me more than anything. 

MangoMadness said...
The story of Twighlight is okay in itself, but what bothers me is the mangled impression of vampires and werewolves. They are different in this one story than in the history of all other vamps and WWs. I don't like it. It's wrong, not like the real deal you find in all the classics. if there were no predetermined stereotypes, it would be fine. But there is a set image of vamps and WWs in people's minds, and this does not fit at all. HP FO-EVA!

Oorah_Alchemist said...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm:
I think it is because of the fact when the Twilight movie was realised on the day many dedicated Harry Potter fans where expecting their movie it made them angry causing the two worlds to bump heads. I'm not going to lie I am all for Harry Potter, but I have no problem with Twilight. I read the series, wasn't impressed,put it on my bookshelf, and that was that. People who constantly bring up how they hate twilight or hate Harry Potter are just looking for a fight. I don't think Harry Potter and ... (more »)

WelshSam said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm:

No question about it, JK Rowling has produced the better piece of literature and is a more talented individual. Her story is cleverer, her writing of a much higher quality and, thank god, she is British.

Twilight's ok though, just nothing special, a lot more simple, and for simple-minded people.

Saphirra said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 11:18 am:
I think that Twilight and Harry Potter can never exist in peace. It will always be an ongoing battle. I chose Harry Potter on the first page.

schlage said...
Ok, so there sre some major twilight fans out there but... how can it even measure up to harry potter. Harry Potter is amazingly written and twilight is really just kind of normal. it's not the worst book, but it gets way more credit then it should. Harry Potter is the book and movie series of the century, and it will still be strong years from now.

Oregonian said...
May 17, 2010 at 5:35 pm:

Because Harry Potter is a masterpiece and Twilight just plain sucks. There is no denying it, only screaming girls can possibly like Twilight(especially the movies). Whereas Harry Potter has fans of all ages and gets way better reviews on websites like rottentomatoes.com

So thas why they can't exist peacefully together. Edward is VOLDEMORT!!

SystemofaDown96 replied...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 10:18 pm :
well that sums it up. case closed

Bettfreund replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 9:15 am :
I like that. Edward is Voldemort. explains the shininess.

Oorah_Alchemist replied...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm :
haha I believe when Voldemort killed Cedric he came back as a sparkly pixie.. I mean Vampire :)

Lollipop said...
May 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm:
i agree with the author of this article. At first i was all about Twilight because i never read Harry Potter. I was basing my opinion off the movie vs. the twilight books. But once i actually read HArry Potter i realized that they are really good books. I love them both!

blonde dude 123 said...
i dont realy read much... but twilight is kinda more intrusting. GO TEAM ALICE!!!!!!!!!!!

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:26 am:
Twilight is not even in the same league as harry potter. I like Twilight more, but I know H.P. is way better. Hary Potter has more imagination and better writing in a single chapter than all the twilight books.