Those Three Words

Too often in the hall ways of my middle school I hear the words “I love you” tossed around carelessly. Often I want to stop and ask them what those words mean to them. I’m pretty sure I’d get the fairy tale romance responses, ‘Oh, we are meant to be, that’s why I said it.’ Or ‘I’m just so in love with them.’ Why? ‘Oh, you know. We just like, bond’. Maybe I’d get the peer pressure ‘I feel like I have to’ or ‘Cause everyone does.’ Answers. Well, here’s my opinion. Of course common bonds have to do with love, but so do differences. If you date someone that’s exactly like you, it won’t be very interesting for either of you. Also, love can’t be forced. So if you’re being pressured into saying those three magic words, “I love you”, it’s pretty meaningless. Who would want to pressure someone into saying that? Just cause you make them say it, doesn’t mean they mean it. Love is also about trust. You have to trust someone to have a good relationship. If you start hiding things from someone it becomes a mess and there can’t be love there because that person doesn’t even know you. Which brings me to one of the statements I absolutely dislike, ‘Love at first sight’. How can you love someone the first time you see them? You don’t know anything about their personality, or just who they are. Sure, you can be attracted to some one, or think they’re hot at first sight, but that’s not love. That’s lust. You can’t possibly love someone until you know them. I hate it when people use the word love carelessly. Love is supposed to be special. If you tell every guy you’ve even just thought about hooking up with you love them, it loses it’s meaning. Think before you speak, please.

ieshadanai said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 11:48 am:
I agree how "I Love You' is used in a relationship when you've haven't been together very long.My exboyfriend would say it all the time and it just didn't feel right for me to say it back to him when i did care about him alot but i didn't know him well enough to say those words when it means alot.

xo.forever said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:44 pm:
i'm in love.
-__-

PlasticRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm:
I totally see where you're going with this when talking about young couples that haven't been going out very long, etc. etc. However, when friends say it to one another--girl friends to guy friends, girl friends to girl friends, whatever--I think that it's a genuine way of telling someone how you feel.
I tell many people that I love them all the time, because I mean it. There are many types of love and not all of them are romantic.
Also, I feel like when someone says... (more »)

musicgirl757This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2009 at 7:43 pm:
Ouch! Oh yeah! Oh yeah! U got totally schooled! oh yeah, she own you! yeah... nice. great work.

AliceCullen94 said...
u go girrrrl! that was great and so true. keep up da good work!;)