Popular Girls in UGGS

Everyone says that you have to have a Hollister top and leak Abercrombie to be accepted. Everyone has the girl in their grade that walks like she has something to prove, puts others down so she feels less insecure, and hugs you while stabbing you in the back with her designer earrings. Everything about her seems perfect...her clothes her looks her laugh....except one thing...her attitude. The boys gush and the girls roll their eyes. Why is it that they can't see through a pretty mask and a flirty laugh? You may be the nicest girl on the planet with average looks....and they don't care. You cry, reapply the makeup, and carry on.

The constant verbal put-downs on every girl that doesn't leak Chanel when she cries are almost too much to bear. The teachers see, but brush it off like a fly. They know how middle school girls can be, their used to it. But we're still getting used to it. They roll their eyes, hand you a tissue, and tell you to toughen up. 'You'll meet people at work someday who are worse.' 'Go see the guidance counselor, you're disrupting my class.' 'Would you stop fighting??!?! It's not that big of a deal if she has more A.Eagle clothes than you. Cheer up!' So you slip on you favorite tee,not Aeropostale, much to everyone's dismay,and carry on.

Everyone sees the outward shell, but what they don't see is the personality and the home-life. The popular girls don't have either. Their home-life probably isn't the best, and their personality obviously sucks. Their harsh words sting like cold wind. You wish you had name brand to cover up in, or the latest Aerie jacket. Instead, you snuggle up to Walmart fleece...and carry on.

Ends up the girl you least expect will come back to the twentieth class reunion gorgeous and thriving at her new job as a model or whatever. And she had NO friends in middle school! Cause why? She wasn't worthy of friendship because she didn't own Abercrombie jeans, or a pair of UGGS. Why is she thriving? She carried on...and didn't worry whether the popular girl backstabbed her with designer earrings just because she didn't own a Hollister tee.

babigerl1194 said...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 5:51 pm:
this is such a clichee. nd doesnt usually happens parents just say that to make thier kids feel better. =(

bluesky0728 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:39 am :
Well, lucky you, babigerl1194, you don't have to deal with this at school. Unfortunately, most middle-school girls do, so please keep your negativity to yourself, thank you.

babigerl1194 replied...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 2:04 pm :
please. im so not popular. but i do know its not going to be happy ending for most of us. and those popluar b*tches probably will be sucessful. sucks dont it. cause the unpopular kids cut and drink and want to escape. maybe they're smart but without popularity there's no connection and that doesn't get you far in life. you said those girls had money well then they're gonna get the best school and all the opportunities. sorry honey it's a cliche since it has such a happy ending.

Jul. 28, 2010 at 5:08 pm :
or the popular bitches don't care about school and get pregnant at 15 and the unpopular girl geniuses go on to invent a cure to cancer.

Unwritten replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 7:55 am :
Well I'm sorry you feel tht way, you could do a lot in the world but it seems you don't think a better additude and nicer words won't get you there.

PlasticRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm:
...I feel like this is well written and it's a good point and stuff, and I'm glad you weren't trying to be judgemental, so keep up the good work!
But I also feel like if I put on a shirt that says "HOLLISTER" in big letters across the front they should pay me to wear it. Cause all I'm doing is advertising after I pay extra money for a t-shirt I could have bought without the brand name for half the price somewhere else. ._.

morgie7<3 replied...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 10:04 pm :
haha that is a very good point:)

Icy96 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm :
I agree whole-heartedly. Keep telling your opinion and ignore the haters, they're just jealous of our Walmart clothes ;)

Lyndsey C. said...
then again it is high school so it really dosnt matter

905xoxo said...
Apperance is the outward expression of your innerself. The girl with the Pastry Shoes will probally not get along ith the guy in the Led Zepplin shirt. The problem is now girls are falling to comformidy. Everyone want big name clothes, instead of voiceing who they are. It is not that girls who wear big designers are evil, it's just that they have a desire to fit in.

morgie7<3 replied...
Jan. 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm :
I do agree that name brand clothes are donned mostly for the reason of trying to fit in. BUT, sometimes the desire to fit in can be more harmful than you think. Because they have the cool clothes, they're cooler right? Wrong. To make themselves feel better, they put down others who may or may not have their same desire to fit into the 'popular' group. Lots of girls are made fun of for not wearing name brand clothes, it's not a scarce happening, at least in my school. The ... (more »)

Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:42 am :
I agree with 905xoxo. We shouldn't care that their clothes are designer- but they shouldn't judge our clothes either. We should wear whatever expresses ourselves that we can afford, and if that's what they choose to wear, so be it. If I choose to wear a t-shirt with my favorite WNBA team on it to school, so be it. They shouldn't care, but they do. But judging them for their designer clothes just makes things worse. We just have to ignore them, but if we're being just as mean to them as they are ... (more »)

little-miss-sunshine said...
I totally agree with this article. Great!

Gee.gee.lania replied...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 1:01 pm :
I agree with this article.
Girls now an days are judged more on their looks and less on their personality and smarts.
I think that everbody should be judged by how they act and whats inside.

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't agree with this article at all. You ask girls not to be judgmental, yet you judge those who wear certain brands. People are going to judge you no matter what, so at least try to be above that. You're sinking as low as the girls you hate.

morgie7<3 replied...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 10:01 pm :
I am not saying that all girls that wear these clothes are like this...or trying to be judgemental. I am just trying to describe the people in my article in the best way possible, based on my own experiences. In this article, these girls are popular and have all the name brand things, and think they're above everyone else. Isn't that how it works with a lot of people? Popular people most likely seem to have it all. I know that not all people that wear Hollister/A&F ect are ba... (more »)

morgie7<3 replied...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 10:04 pm :
plus those stores can have some cute stuff! :) I'm just saying that when girls aren't excepted by ppl that believe these are the only brands you can wear to be popular, it gets ridiculous, and that if you are made fun of for that, it won't matter later in life what your clothes looked like in the 8th grade. I hope I helped to clear that up and if you have any more questions/comments/debates ;) please feel free to post a comment (:

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 11:04 am :
I definitely appreciate that you're not trying to be judgmental. Thanks for clearing that up! :]

K.M.Simpson said...
good story very true please read and comment on my work

XoLaUrEnOx7 said...
this comment thingie was great! i shop at those stores, but i know what its like when someone puts you down because of your clothes or your looks. and guys don't even see through the mean girls!!!! good luck. i hope this makes it in the magazine

pinksage33 said...
Jul. 3, 2009 at 9:55 pm:
Just because someone wears ugs dos'nt mean thast they are mean. But you make a very good point in the rest of the aricle.