Popular Girls in UGGS

Everyone says that you have to have a Hollister top and leak Abercrombie to be accepted. Everyone has the girl in their grade that walks like she has something to prove, puts others down so she feels less insecure, and hugs you while stabbing you in the back with her designer earrings. Everything about her seems perfect...her clothes her looks her laugh....except one thing...her attitude. The boys gush and the girls roll their eyes. Why is it that they can't see through a pretty mask and a flirty laugh? You may be the nicest girl on the planet with average looks....and they don't care. You cry, reapply the makeup, and carry on.

The constant verbal put-downs on every girl that doesn't leak Chanel when she cries are almost too much to bear. The teachers see, but brush it off like a fly. They know how middle school girls can be, their used to it. But we're still getting used to it. They roll their eyes, hand you a tissue, and tell you to toughen up. 'You'll meet people at work someday who are worse.' 'Go see the guidance counselor, you're disrupting my class.' 'Would you stop fighting??!?! It's not that big of a deal if she has more A.Eagle clothes than you. Cheer up!' So you slip on you favorite tee,not Aeropostale, much to everyone's dismay,and carry on.

Everyone sees the outward shell, but what they don't see is the personality and the home-life. The popular girls don't have either. Their home-life probably isn't the best, and their personality obviously sucks. Their harsh words sting like cold wind. You wish you had name brand to cover up in, or the latest Aerie jacket. Instead, you snuggle up to Walmart fleece...and carry on.

Ends up the girl you least expect will come back to the twentieth class reunion gorgeous and thriving at her new job as a model or whatever. And she had NO friends in middle school! Cause why? She wasn't worthy of friendship because she didn't own Abercrombie jeans, or a pair of UGGS. Why is she thriving? She carried on...and didn't worry whether the popular girl backstabbed her with designer earrings just because she didn't own a Hollister tee.

JesusandHisLawyersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26 at 7:12 pm:
Gotta love how misogynistic and nasty girls can be towards other girls. "She wears uggs and makeup, what a stupid mean cold-hearted b-tch!"

SarahM15 said...
I don't think the popular girl matters. Sure, it's a hit to the self-esteem if someone has a dozen more friends than you, but it won't be like that forever. What matters is that you like how you act, what you do, or what you wear. Being popular is so overated. Being happy with what you are is much more important.

Lorena_h said...
I strongly disagree with this article it's based off stereo typical traits rather than facts. Just because girls own a pair of uggs doesn't mean they're cold hearted. That's completely insipid as well as irrelevant to uggs.

Latre said...
Uggs are not water proof girls need to step up their shoe game

Anthonyhitsbombs7 said...
Who cares what people wear?!?!?!?!

Danielle H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This may be true at your school, but not at mine. I wear Hollister, Aeropostale, and American Eagle. Does that make me snotty and stuck up? Not really. You can't judge a person by their outter appearance, Now, if they make fun of you for your "Walmart fleece" that's different. But don't judge someone because of what they wear. Get to know them and their personality before you critize. You msy find out, they're not so bad. I'm not popular.. at all. I'm a straight... (more »)

claire.y23 said...
This is not true. Some "popular" people tend to wear UGGS because they are warm... Have you ever thought about that? And what is so wrong with wearing designer clothes, earrings, bags etc..?? I think people should be more praising the courage they have to show the things they have. Not because they want to "stab" the "non popular kids" back... Honestly, I strongly disagree with this article.

Mariah replied...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 7:00 pm :
I respectfully disagree....uggs are warm but so are other boots that are not designer.  Designer items are nice to have I guess, but are for more materialistic people.  But I have a bestfriend who has designer everything but she is one of the nicest people I know...so no, not all people are snobby and rude to the so-called "nonpopular" kids.

EpicSandy said...
This is absolutely true. I know exactly who this is and all the brands and such are correct. This isn't over exaggerated at all in my school, I have a back stabbing fashion chic in my school who even my best friend abandoned me for...

owl-girl said...
I feel bad when I read all this 'bagging-on-populars' type stuff, becsue I don't know if I'm popular or not??? Lots of people think I'm their friend when really I wish they would just leave me alone... does that make me a snotty popular girl??? and btw I don't own any uggs or aeropostale or any of that

Kindall.Nicole said...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:26 am:
I found this story very sterotypical. Not all "popular girls in hollister tees" have no personality, and many of them are quite nice. Get to know someone better before you make assumptions of their personality. Yes in movies the "popular girls" are portrayed that way. But in reality, everyone has their own life. Which is ocumpanied by unique and seperate problems that other people may not know about. Saying that they have no problems or personality, is very wrong. They may have a life just like ... (more »)

LitGeek replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:44 am :
I agree. I've had some personal experiences with this, and let me tell you, it can be hurtful. If you can't judge someone for their personality, that's prejudiced. It goes both ways, people! Oh, and I wear Uggs. They're comfy :)

jsalyers said...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 8:49 am:

you wrote about a really relateable topic and you could see strong emotion in it maybe try to use bigger vocabualry instead of average words.

BadKindOfLucky said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm:
It really is the attitude. I dont care what these girls are wearing because i like how i dress. But they love to act like their opinion matters more to you than your own. Which is completely FALSE. They steal their ideas on "hott" clothes from magazines...they conform and then want you to conform. By conforming you give them power and fullfill their hidden desire to fit in. Be an innovator :)

sunriseusnset said...
This is very true. I love to see the good come out on top. I, myself am not popular or rich, but I like to believe that I am pretty grounded. I know things will work out for me if I just keep pushing forward. I was taught this way I just feel bad for the people who have things handed to them. They just don't know what that real friendship or accomplishment feeling. So, sorry to all you popular girls out there. That's right, I feel sorry for YOU !

ExpRESsY0uRselF said...
LOVED THIS! It is soooo true, come to think of it, the "popular table" at school reeks of money and designer perfume. I can't believe it, and I sometimes laugh, because I'm only in middle school! Girls are already bringing out the microminishort skirts, and badically see through designer tank tops! But this piece was great, and you spoke in a strong, independant voice. BTW, if you have time, please check out my poems, You Are the Lyrics In Me, The Girl Inside, and Remembering Spring. Thanks!!!! 8)

ExpRESsY0uRselF replied...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm :
Whoops, I said badically, but I meant basically. Sorry!!!!!

Bookworm1998 replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 6:57 am :
you are so right. and lol 'badically', i always spell things wrong so i dont botehr anymore :P. your screenname caught my attention and i will definately check out your work. :)

normgrl said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm:
Though it was rather stereotypical and overexaggerated, I understand that you probably wrote it with your own experiences in the back of your mind.

KendisPiper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:17 am:
you make a good point, but i agree that this may have been slightly exagerated. This begins at a very young age, i was descriminated for being who i was and dressing the way i did as early as grade five, i also agree that they become strong and carry on but they probably wont end up a model, and they may not end up gorgeous, but they will be able to say they pushed through high school. So yes, this article itself was exagerated BUT the message was right and hopefully this someday will change