Trust | Teen Ink

Trust

By Crimgym GOLD, Townley, Alabama
Crimgym GOLD, Townley, Alabama

"Magic is real. You just have to know where to find it." -unknown

Many times we wonder what this life has in store for us, and where we are going. We wonder who we will meet, who we will become friends with, and what adventures we will seek out with them. There is one thing that determines all of us though, and that is trust. Trust is more that just a word, and many people take it for granted.

In elementary school you had your little rumors about how Johnny like Sally or how Lucy hugged Bobby on the playground. Do you remember having your little third grade crush and asking your third grade best friend not to tell a soul who it was? I do. We had so many different lines of defenses that we used to keep our secrets safe and protected. First, we had someone say, "Cross your heart hope to die stick a needle in my eye." Of course you weren't going to stop there, and that is where your second line of defense comes into play, the secret handshake. The most unbreakable bond however, was your pinky promise. They were unforgivable if broken.

High school is so much different. Everyone has their own group and their own clique. Everyone draws away from those innocent friendships, were everything was simple. You have your people, and your people determine who you are. If your group messes with someone else’s, you better watch out, because all heck is about to break loose. One thing that destroys friendships inside of your cliques though, is lack of trust. You have to build that foundation of trust, or your friendship isn't worth anything.

We all wish we could go back to our pinky promises and handshakes, but those are obsolete now. Trust is our foundation. Without trust, your friendship has nothing. without a price on it, money is just a piece of paper. Without pages a book is just binding. Without a president our country is chaos. Without trust, you are a thread wearing down to the last strand.

I was thinking one day about how much everything had changed from my childhood to my time in high school, and I narrowed it down to a few topics. Trust, responsibility, and forgivness. So, I decided to write about it. I hope you enjoy this connection, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.