Yes, Your Spouse Should Be Your Best Friend | Teen Ink

Yes, Your Spouse Should Be Your Best Friend

By NiaMamauag BRONZE, Sacramento, California
NiaMamauag BRONZE, Sacramento, California

In “Should Your Spouse Be Your Best Friend?” by Bruce F., he proposes that the person you are married to should not involuntarily be your best friend. I do not agree with the points that he pursues throughout the article. You marry the person who will always be there for you no matter what, who will love you no matter what, and who will stay with you no matter what. Along with those commitments comes a friendship that is built and becomes strong enough for marriage.

In Bruce's article the founders of a couple institute and authors, Peter Pearson and Ellyn Bader brings up a point: “One of the criteria for a best friend is you feel unconditionally accepted, do I care if my buddy Mark is messy in the kitchen, leaves his bathroom a shambles and doesn’t pay his income taxes? But with a spouse you can’t avoid these topics”. In order for your best friend to be your best friend, they should wholeheartedly accept you no matter the situation. In fact that is what your spouse should be accomplishing. Undergoing problems together as a couple is part of a marriage and likewise a friendship.

However with the research he has brought up there should be a balance between the author’s opinion and the evidence that is compiled. In this article, Bruce gives the readers more evidence from professors and author’s opinions rather than his own. I do acknowledge that Bruce provides us useful and interesting information that leaves room for his audience to grasp what they have read. But Bruce should provide more of his own viewpoints to further his speculation.

I was inspired to respond back to this piece because the idea of love has always held a close place in my heart. Love is my weakness because the fact that you can have a relationship with someone and share a deep connection amazes me. Especially when one day when you experience that certain kind of love you want to hold onto that feeling forever. Having someone support you and be there for you can not only be by your lover but your best friend. So why not count your partner as your best friend if they will always love and support you like a friend? But of course on a more intimate level. I hope people take away the mindset of being friends with the person your in a relationship with. I find being in a relationship and being a friend is similar. But being in a relationship is more intimate and you become closer making you best friends without the thought of it. I want my audience to realize the thought of love in that way.

on Oct. 19 2017 at 3:40 pm
Realjay41 DIAMOND, Culpeper , Virginia
I agree; but, my best friend is a girl and I'm not gay. Yes I love my best friend to pieces, I just don't want to spend the rest of my life as Odel-Jacobs.