What Is Love? | Teen Ink

What Is Love?

January 10, 2017
By Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine
Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine
14 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never regret something that once made you smile." - Amber Deckers

"Stories are more than just images. As you continue in the tale, you get to know the characters, motivations and conflicts that make up the core of the story...." - Livia Blackburne


"What is love?"

 

Love? There's many kinds of love. Romantic love? I'm afraid I don't know much about it from personal experience, but from observation I can give you what I know... It's amazing. It's everything good in the world and in the other person. It's every good feeling you can feel but felt all at once. It's the most wonderful thing, it electrifies the soul. It makes you light up just to hear their name, and you never stop getting butterflies when you see them, whether you've been together twenty days or twenty years. It's accepting the other person for who they are and wouldn't change a thing about them, you take them flaws and all. It's overcoming differences because you care that much about them. Whether it be a physical condition such as illness, blindness, paralysis, or something as simple yet complicated as a language barrier. It's knowing you can go to them with everything and not be judged. It's knowing they'll always be there to be a shoulder to cry on. It's not being able to picture your life without them. It's a world of black and white without them. A day without them is like a year and a year with them is like a day. It kills you to see them hurt and you'd do anything to see them smile again because that smile is the light of your life. It's as important to you as the sun or air. It's working out your problems even after a fight because you know you'd go mad without them. It's living in a confused harmony where they're like one of Beethoven's symphonies and you feel like a sour note in chopsticks because they are just that perfect. It's knowing every day they care about you and only you. It's never feeling cold because just the thought of them warms your heart enough to keep you from freezing. It's never going a day without smiling at the simplest things that remind you of them. It's not always spoken outright as "I love you". Sometimes it's as simple as "smile darling", "text me when you get home, just so I know you made it safe", or "I'm here if you need me". Love? It's everything and nothing all at once... its everything because you can't live without it, but it's nothing because you don't even have to think twice about it. It's just there. It's just wonderful...


The author's comments:

Amor et vita, non paenitet

(live and love, no regrets)