Risks & Friendships | Teen Ink

Risks & Friendships

December 15, 2016
By Animeshifter BRONZE, Buckhannon, West Virginia
Animeshifter BRONZE, Buckhannon, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Risks can only be defined when someone is doing something with the potential to lose something if they fail.  Some would say that you can achieve greater things by risking something in return.  I for one agree with this.  The greater the risk the greater the reward.  Although the reward at the end of the tunnel may seem great and which it most likely is, but some forget about the dark side of the coin.  No one wants to think about losing.  Most of us don’t want to think about losing in the when you are on the trail to success.  Its human nature to only want to look forward and don’t look back to what you gambling in the process.

Risks are invigorating, a jolt of enjoyment in lives where we are putting something on the line.  You never know maybe in the end you can come out on top.  You may even do the previously thought impossible.  You may do your parents proud and accomplish your dreams of going to college and getting a degree.  You took the risks of taking out loans and it paid off in the end.

However you may not do any of those things.  You may fall in a pit that you most likely may never ever be able to climb out of.  Some may abandon you as they knew that what you did was wrong from the start.  You may end up walking a path with many but only reach the end alone, sad, and terrified.  No one to help you in your time of despair. 

Though I never can recall a risk I took that was so great that changed my life forever, I do know of a friend’s.  She was not a person of many friends, some would even call her a social outcast, but I was no better.  Me and this person soon became friends despite all social odds.  Well not really I just walked up to “her” table and said I going to sit here from now on.

 

Me and this person became friends and went through day by day enjoying each-others  company.  One day we talked about each-others childhood.  When she talked about her past.  You wouldn’t see it in her today.  She had gone through what many would nightmares about.  When she told me about this she had total faith in me to never tell anyone the details of her childhood for that is her story to tell and for her alone.  She took a risk in telling me this and me never telling anyone else.  She would conceive that I wouldn’t tell anyone.  Assurance is something she gave me and I have upheld that to the fullest.  I hope that one day you can devote yourself to a friend who shares the same vision as you.  You must never let that friendship collapse as it will be one of the best ones you will ever have.


The author's comments:

I wrote this in my senior english class for a speech. I got a B.