Love from Peachtree lane | Teen Ink

Love from Peachtree lane

By KathrynRose BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois
KathrynRose BRONZE, Barrington, Illinois

My favorite place in the entire world is my grandparents house. If you ask most people they’d say Hawaii or the mountains; to me its my grandparents house on Peachtree Lane. My grandma keeps it in pristine condition at all times and the smell of their house I could pick out anywhere. When I’m in their house nothing seems like anything can go wrong. Even though many tears have been shed in that haven of a two story, no one ever leaves without a resolution. When my parents had told me they were getting a divorce and we were to move, I knew right away their place was there to comfort me and give me peace. That's something I’m so grateful for.  In this house many family meals have taken place, mostaccioli or a beautiful roast, so many holidays, baking of cupcakes, cinnamon cakes, biscotti, and my personal favorite, the decorating of gingerbread houses.

My favorite time of year, the Christmas season, we decorate gingerbread houses any way we like. The kitchen table is filled with all sorts of different colorful candies and loads of frosting. One of my favorite memories while decorating gingerbread houses was when my grandma decided to take on a new challenge. She stepped it up a level and made a log cabin from scratch with pretzel rods and it just kept falling apart. So naturally my sister and I were laughing our heads off as each wall of the house fell down. Then finally when the last wall went up, the entire roof collapsed and we lost it crying and laughing so hard.  But one of my grandmother's best traits is innovation. When something doesn’t work out, she makes something else work. So that's just what she did; she used hot glue, which is not usually our go to for glue on our gingerbread houses. But since it's Grandma, she makes the rules. To compliment my Grandma, in all her glory, is my Grandpa.

My Grandpa represents so much to me: hard work, determination, unconditional love, and willingness to help. His work ethic is something I look up to everyday as I go forward in my search for a career. I cannot go in an elevator without thinking of the hard work he put in every day for his family at home. A great story about me and grandpa was when he was determined to teach me to ride a bike because he thought it was ridiculous that I couldn’t ride at the age of 7.  It probably was, but he was definitely more determined than I even cared to be at that age. He tried for hours to get me just to make it across the sidewalk in front of their house. Frustrated and crying I ran inside to the comfort of my grandma, just for her to send me back out, after a warm hug and a lemon knot. At the time I was so upset and frustrated that he would not let up and was forcing me for what felt like forever to ride this two wheeler. Now looking back he didn’t have to do that. He didn’t have to spend hours frustrated and upset, watching me cry and be so stubborn. He did it solely for me and me only. To this day that warms my heart and I will never forget the day I learned to ride a two wheeler in a single day from my grandpa. I look up to my grandpa so much that watching him struggle with his health lately has been extremely difficult, but this is just another reason I love him. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him complain, even through all the surgeries and hospital visits. He always holds his head high and pushes through everything. Which brings me to how my grandma takes such great care of him. She is his cook, clothes launderer, nurse and sometimes to her dismay, his maid but I know she wouldn’t have it any other way. Bringing me to probably my favorite thing about my grandparents, their relationship.

The unconditional love they share is something everyone should experience in their lives and i’m so incredibly grateful that i’ve gotten the chance to witness a love as unique and strong as theirs. They’ve been together for 60 years now, which to me is unfathomable since i'm only 17. The times they have shared are filled with little bickers here and there of course, but lots of conversation, laughter, and lots of love. I could talk about my grandparents and all the amazing things they’ve done forever. Just know I am forever indebted to them for being the people they are and the influence they’ve had on my life.

Tini said...
on Oct. 22 2016 at 1:19 am
I love it. Thank you

Allie said...
on Oct. 21 2016 at 4:06 pm
This was just beautiful