Repressed Emotionally Society | Teen Ink

Repressed Emotionally Society

By angelicbutchaotic BRONZE, Lisburn, Alabama
angelicbutchaotic BRONZE, Lisburn, Alabama

we live in a generation that represses and is ashamed of emotions and that makes me really sad. being mad, feeling sad, loving is all part of being human and live. i cry. we all do. im not afraid to admit it. sometimes i feel stupid because no one ever talks about it.  never let anyone make you feel mad for being emotional. you are in touch with yourself and you feel things on a different level. which is a gift. a certain level of compassion comes from knowing the ups and downs of life and feeling them to the highest degree. also just because someone may have it “worse” than you doesn’t mean you aren’t entitled to your emotions and can’t be sad.

i know people who act emotionless. but they cry and laugh and love. i refuse to believe that there are people out there who are genuinely unemotional. however, there are definitely people who are in denial and repress their emotions.

i used to be like this; repress all my emotions. but recently i found that being honest and open will find you real friendships, and you growing as a person.

emotions are what makes us human. we're alive because we feel things. if you bury your emotions you're just lying to yourself and those around you.

i want to live in a world where no one has to feel shame about being emotional. your parents got divorced? your dog died? all hard s*** to go through and very common. talk about it. you will heal and grow and be happy.

the reason we have racism, wars and everything else bad in the world starts with us humans not dealing with our emotions.

i got inspired to write this piece when i was thinking about an old friend. he couldn't accept and be aware of his own emotions. i hope people who read this will begin to open up more because it really does build stronger bonds. 

Andy_Vern BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina

"If you take anyone or anything seriously, like 100% serious, then you've given them what they want. You've already lost three times over."

Insightful stuff, you're going places friend