Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

March 22, 2016
By Somsdayal BRONZE, Muscat, Other
Somsdayal BRONZE, Muscat, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Does this word even make sense in today’s World? We have literally reached the stage where we act nice to the people we detest and do something so cheap for our once-called friend. In our first and last journey from Birth to Dearth, we meet trillions of people including parents, siblings, cousins, relatives and…… friends. But are friends really friends?

 

Before we move on discussing what friends have literally become in today’s busy world, let’s first ask what a friend really means. For me a friend is someone who you can just hang out with, who can cheer you up temporarily and who would replace you as soon as they find a better acquaintance. If by chance my readers consider my definition harsh, I apologize for that, but many of my past experiences have left me to this definition.

 

When you check the meaning of a friend in Google, it says “a person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, exclusive of family relation.” It doesn’t state whether you can trust that person, or share your deep and dark secrets with them or even talking freely with them and expecting them to not mind at all. When you are talking to your friend (whatever that might be about), have you ever thought that your friend actually might not be liking all that you are saying, and must be devising ways to get rid of you?
Hurts…..

[A/N: Before I go on any further, I would certainly like to bring up that this article does not mean to insult any of those priceless gems out there in the World I’ve never known the presence of, who are actually true friends and know what it means and respect it. This is going to be brought up again further.]

Moving on……….

 

According to Oxford dictionary, friend is defined as “a person you know well and like, and is not a person from your family.” So, you know him, you like him but it doesn’t give you any rights to consider him as your messiah from any of your problems and you CANNOT burden him with your stuff. Your problems, you deal with it.

 

Do you see the common thing in both these definitions? In both the definitions, it says what your feelings are about your friend. “….one has a mutual of mutual connection” (Google), “….you know well and like….” (Oxford), which means that it is from your side. You do not know whether the Homo Sapien (most of the time) standing in front of you whom you consider your friend also considers you the same. It’s just one sided, which is from your side. You cannot assure your tiny, sentimental heart, looking out for a true friendship, that your friend looks at you the way you look at him. Now has certainly come a time where the so-called-friend you would be sharing your distress with, might just be the one to stab you from behind.  Remember, never share your problems with anyone, 80% don’t care and 20% are glad you have them. 

 

Remember that A/N in square brackets a little earlier….. about those gems…. yeah that one! So there are these precious, priceless angels gifted to only some really lucky people in this World who might just have done some very noble deed in their past lives and are so privileged to be gifted those angles. So, if my reader is just one of them, I whole heartedly congratulate you because believe it or not, I consider you maybe the luckiest on this planet.

 But do you know what the most heart-ripping case is? To have your dear special friend(s) far, far, really far from you, whom you meet just once a year or not even that and you have to depend on that little router kept on the computer table of yours to contact them.

 So, I could say that friends have completely lost their meaning in this World and just a few winged people sent by Cupid know how to respect a friend, respect a friendship, respect the meaning of a friend and be a good friend the whole life.

[A/N: This is literally my first article I am publicly posting on such a platform, so please ignore a few mistakes I might have made and a few formalities I might not have followed and feel free to correct me. And also, I apologize to all those readers who might have felt offended by what I just wrote, that was not at all my intention. And if any of my readers have been able to connect any part of this article with any event of their personal life, I think I would tell myself, “Soumya, well done!” And finally, thank you so much for reading this.] 

Happy reading and writing,
Soumya D.