Why Mom Knows Best | Teen Ink

Why Mom Knows Best

By AstheDeerLongsPsalm42 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
AstheDeerLongsPsalm42 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekov

Why Mom knows best.

We’ve all heard that funny saying. Mother knows best. Yet, how many of us willingly admit that’s true?

Yes, I’m pretty sure we’ve all had those little spats with our beloved mothers, some of us more than others but when it comes down to it: we’d be lost without her.

She teaches you some of the most important things in your life such as “If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all”  and “ Look both ways before you cross the street” and “Money does NOT grow on trees!”

Sometimes it’s the more obvious thing that she needs to remind us about like “Don't sit too close to the television; it'll ruin your eyes.” and “If you put it where it belongs, you won’t have any problems finding it!” and “Do you think your dirty socks are going to pick themselves up?”

How many times has she told us to “Put that down! You don't know where it's been!” and many other useful things that our inexperienced, young minds think are unnecessary and useless. But if you're a good child you’ll do it anyway and you’ll probably see the sense of what she’s told you sooner or later. Later more likely than sooner but eventually.

For example, boys, when mom tells you to pull your pants up, please, please, pull your pants up. Sagging is not as cool as you think it is.

Why does mom know best? While mom understands that sometimes you mess up and you can't help being an ignorant child, sometimes punishment has to be given out. Like when one of those nasty curse words just happens to slip out of your mouth at the wrong time, you know, more than likely, you’ll have the taste of soap in your mouth the rest of the day.

Most of the time she’s pretty easy on you because she knows you're not perfect, but when she starts counting you know you’re in for it.“I'm going to give you until the count of three.” she says. “... 1... 2... 2 and a half... 2 and three quarters...”

And if the counting doesn’t convince you the “Your father is going to hear about this when HE gets home!” will.

But don’t worry too much, she’s only doing it for your own good.

Sometimes she may feel like she’s talking to a brick wall but doesn't know that that simple sentence she says all the time is what you remember for the rest of your life and tell your own kids. Maybe one day we’ll thank her for all of those times when she’s smacked us upside the head for doing something completely mindless.

Why does mom know best? Because she’s the person that sees the best in you. She gives you unconditional love. And she’s Wonder Woman.

This was for my speech unit in English Class. I had fun writing it so I thought I'd post it.