Creating a Rift | Teen Ink

Creating a Rift

By SheWolf16 BRONZE, Coronado, California
SheWolf16 BRONZE, Coronado, California

After my mom passed away, I lived with my dad almost every day. I remember when we used to go out to the park and to the movie theater by ourselves. We spent our days having fun and playing video games; we used to have a blast. However, all those fun moments changed when my dad met this tall girl. My dad told me one day, that he had met this girl while he was working and that he had been talking to her for a while. I knew that my dad liked her, just by the way that he told me how sweet she is. I told him, “I want to see her...she seems really nice”. I smiled at him, and then planned like a “date” kind of thing. He wanted to take us to Chili’s; I said to myself, “I hope she’s a nice lady”. When we got to the place, she was already waiting for us. I remember seeing her as this girl with “brown-reddish” hair, long and curly, tall and skinny. She seemed clean and proper; she came up to me and said nicely, “Nice to meet you, I’m Jessica”. She kissed me on the cheek like if I was her little sister, at  least she smelled really nice, like the amber romance perfume from Victoria’s Secret. I couldn’t talk because I was a bit nervous, but MORE than usual. After all, it was my dad’s first date in a long time. When we were ready to leave, my dad paid for dinner. Of course, it would look good if the guy pays for his date, it's what always happens right? Then we said goodbye to each other, and we left. Months later, she had more confidence with my dad; and now, they hung out so many times. I thought it was an “official” thing, but my dad always denied it. Until one saturday morning, the sun was shinny and the room felt warm, me and my dad were having breakfast. Jessica came in to have breakfast with us. My dad stood up next to her and she says, “We love each other”. My heart started pounding like a drum, I was right...it was official. But then, I thought about what my friends always told me about step-moms. I’ve heard stories about them being evil, like the one in Cinderella. So, I got stuck with that idea for a while. Everytime she was near my dad, I looked at her with such an evil look, like if I hated her out of no where. One day I was good with her, and that changed drastically for some reason. I didn’t wanted her near my dad, at all. I wanted her gone, I hated her, I envied her. It wasn’t until I realized what I was feeling towards her...jealousy. However, I couldn’t stop this feeling, and I knew it was going to drive me nuts if I kept feeling jealous about her. My dad knew, he asked me, “Why do you hate her? What do you think about us?”. I said, “You guys are fine! I don’t need to say anything else about her”, I gave him a fake smile. I knew that she wasn’t my mother, and she never will, no one will ever replace that position in my life. I could've think about her the worst things ever, but it was all me, me being jealous of a really nice woman. This made my dad think of me as the worse daughter, he got mad at me so many times for acting a bit sassy towards Jessica. I understood that creating more struggle between me and her, will definitely ruin the relationship with me and my dad, and even her. So, after a couple of months, I let it go because I knew that they loved each other. Jealousy ruins a person, and it doesn’t matter how old you are. The point is, I did learned my lesson and having a stepmom it’s a hard journey to experience...but it’s nothing that can ruin my life.

I hope you enjoy this piece!