Are Romeo and Juliet Truly In Love? | Teen Ink

Are Romeo and Juliet Truly In Love?

By Carlos Robles-Rivera BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas
Carlos Robles-Rivera BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas

Romeo and Juliet have some traits of being in love, but they are not truly in love.  They don’t have any signs of intimacy.  This makes them lack true love.  Also, Romeo shows some signs of passion, but Juliet does not show any signs of passion.  One thing that both Romeo and Juliet do show signs of is commitment, but there are some parts in the story where Juliet does show some doubts.  Romeo and Juliet are not truly in love because they are too young to know what love is, and don’t know anything about each other.

Romeo and Juliet have no signs of intimacy.  In the article, “Which of the 7 Types of Love Relationships Fit yours,” it defines intimacy as, “…closeness, connectedness, and strong emotional bond.”  Romeo does not know anything about Juliet, and Juliet does not know anything about Romeo.  This proving that they don’t have any connections and are not close.  Romeo and Juliet barely know each other and don’t know if they have any connections, thus proving that they are not truly in love.

Romeo and Juliet have some passion for each other.  The article, “Which of the 7 Types of Love Relationships Fits yours,” defines passion as, “… the intensity of your sexual desire toward your partner.”  Romeo and Juliet wouldn’t have a lot of passion toward each other because they are young.  Their age makes them lack passion toward each other.  Thus making them not truly in love.

Romeo and Juliet do show some signs of commitment for each other.  In act two, scene six, line 35-37, Friar Laurence says, “Come, come with me, and we will make short work; for by your leaves, you shall not stay alone.  Till Holy Church incorporate two in one.”  What Friar Laurence is saying is, follow me and I shall marry you two families into one.  In act two, scene two, line 125, Romeo says, “O, wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied?”  He is trying to ask Juliet why she won’t say, I love you.  Getting married shows some commitment, but the fact that Juliet does not say that she loves Romeo shows that their love in not true love. 

With the support Evidence found in the article (Which of the 7 Types of Love Relationships Fits Yours?) and the story of Romeo and Juliet,   it is proven that Romeo and Juliet are not truly in love.  They are just two kids that have made an unwise decision of marring a person they have not fully meet.  They believe in love at first sight, but you don’t know anyone unless you talk to them, or have known them as a kid; thus making them lack connection.  They married each other showing commitment, but they are missing two out of the three parts in the love triangle.  Without the other two parts of the article, Rome and Juliet are not truly in love.

This article explains why I believe Romeo and Juliet are not truly in love.

AshleySD BRONZE, Campbell, California
1 article 1 photo 90 comments
You make some good points, but I stopped taking this article seriously after you said that they are too young to know what love is.