To the Daughter That I'll Never Have | Teen Ink

To the Daughter That I'll Never Have

To the daughter that I will never know, I pray that you'll fit into this world. It's hard being discriminated against on a daily basis. I pray that you have perfectly long hair, bright blue eyes, thighs that don't rub together, and a perfect boyfriend that cheats on you every single weekend. I pray that you love to read, but hide it anyways. I pray that you're a cheerleader that does those perfect flips, that everyone wants to be around because you're just too perfect to resist. I hope that you live your life in the fakest way that you possibly can...because when you're real, the world will ruin you.

Honestly though, I pray that you be yourself. Don't be that pretty girl. Don't ruin your individuality because of how you have to conform to the people around you. People will beat you down, and then beat you some more, and what are you going to do? You're going to stand up and show them who you are. You're going to prove that not being apart of the status quo is the best part of the world. You're going to prove that caring about the underdog, having curves, dealing with family issues, and being imperfect is the greatest perfection that ever occurred.

The art of being different is the freedom you have from caring. Use dry shampoo in the morning, go for that run (even if you jiggle), actually look at someone and don't just see the acne, or the horrible smell of their breath, see the passion in their eyes when they do what they love. To the daughter that I will never know, I pray that you dare to be different.  

I was inspired to write this because I will never have kids. I don't want them to be judged how I have been judged. I want them to find the little things in life that make it worth living.

ellwist said...
on Apr. 2 2015 at 2:16 pm
This is genuinely beautiful. This has actually deeply moved me--thank you.