Internal Happiness | Teen Ink

Internal Happiness

March 31, 2015
By DonBoy15 BRONZE, Tonawanda, New York
DonBoy15 BRONZE, Tonawanda, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Relationships and happiness can be closely related. The articles "Happiness in Relationships" and"Are You Trapped and Unhappy in Your Relationship," demonstrate how much love and relationships can effect an individual's happiness. In the book Ethan Frome, Ethan is put in the possision of being in an unwanted relationship with Zeena. Ethan's relationship is unhappy and restricts him from enjoying life. Ethan's happiness comes from inside him for multiple reasons.

After reading Ethan Frome and the two articles, it is clear to me that true happiness comes from inside. In the article "Happiness in Relationships," the article says "the truth is that you make yourself happy, you probably just don't know how anymore." This quote means that happiness comes from inside and only you can fix it. This relates to Ethan Frome because Ethan doesn't try or allow himself to be happy with his life. After marrying Zeena he lives a life of regret.

Another article that shows internal happiness is "Are You Trapped and Unhappy in Your Relationship?" This article focuses on the internal struggle of how relationships effect your happiness. The article claims "despite the abundance of reason, many of which are realistic, there are deeper, unconscious ones that keep people trapped." This quote is just more evidence that happiness can come from emotions. Ethan Frome is fed up and unhappy with Zeena but he still feels like he shouldn't leave her. Because Ethan is married, he has a reason to stay trapped.

      

A quote that shows happiness internally is "to develop love, and respect in relationships requires that you dissolve love, and respect in relationships requires that you dissolve judgements and emotional reactions and gain mastery over your mind." This quote from the article "Happiness in Relationships" proves that only you can overcome unhappiness from within yourself. Ethan Frome is broken inside from bad relationship experiences throughout his life.

      

Throughout the story of Ethan Frome, Ethan is depressed and drained of motivation. When Ethan sees Mattie for the first time, Ethan immediately feels happy inside and hopeful. This is just another way happiness is effected by emotion. Words like consciousness and internally to explain how happiness effects you inside. Other words like broken, judgment, or trapped help me come to the conclusion that unhappy relationships trap and break your happiness.