Love at First Sight | Teen Ink

Love at First Sight

February 17, 2015
By JennaNelson BRONZE, Barnwell, Other
JennaNelson BRONZE, Barnwell, Other
4 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~Dr. Seuss


I thought I believed in love at first sight, but due to my experiences, I now don’t.


My older sister was having some friends over in the summer.  I had heard of Lewis before, but had never met him.  I walked down the stairs to the sound of a beautiful song being played on the piano.  The music abruptly stopped and Maggie and Lewis walked over to me.  I looked up and saw a tall, strong, dark-haired, handsome older guy.  I had heard stories of how funny and musically talented he was.  I immediately got butterflies.  They flew around bumping into the sides of my stomach, trying to make uncomfortable.  My brain turned to mush and my thoughts were unclear.


We hungout that night and I got excited every time he talked to me.  He asked for my number and we chatted tons.  Seeing his name come up on my phone made my heart skip a beat.  Everything seemed to be going great, we told each other we liked each other, and we were practically dating (we couldn’t  officially date because I wasn’t allowed to date for another year).  We texted every single minute of the day that we weren’t together.  It felt funny being with him; I got so nervous that I never knew what to say.  Texting was easier than talking, so that’s usually what we did.  This was the first guy that I had had actual feeling for and I blew it because of my awkwardness.
Of course, our relationship didn't last long.  After about a month Lewis told me that he didn't feel like things were going well and wanted to end it.  I agreed and confessed that I had already been considering breaking up with him.  We parted ways and neither of us felt overly upset about the breakup.  It took about three months, but Lewis and I are back to being just friends.  He has a girlfriend, and I’m quite fine with not having a boyfriend. 


I had never felt feelings so strong for anyone in my entire life before.  I knew there was something different about Lewis from the moment I met him.  I thought it was love.  I still don’t really know what that feeling was, I don’t know if I’ll ever find out.


The author's comments:

Do you belive in love at first sight?