I Reject the Statement, "Love is a Feeling." | Teen Ink

I Reject the Statement, "Love is a Feeling."

By Adriana DeNoble BRONZE, Marlboro, New Jersey
Adriana DeNoble BRONZE, Marlboro, New Jersey

I reject the statement, "love is a feeling." If feelings carried that much importance, that much emotional weight, then the we would all be condemned to emotional chaos. Our destiny would be a constant state of shallow warfare. If feelings could move things, as love does, the world would have gone through its tenth World War, due to the amount of ill feelings, lost hope, and "broken hearts" the world contains, and since these feelings would have the same power as love has, we would be doomed to an unsatisfying and provocatively temporary forever. 

It is love of another person that can make a marriage. It is love of oneself that can arrange a divorce. It is love of the world we live in that ignites protests, charities, and organizations so that we can save it from itself.  Feelings are temporary: it is fact that feelings are not fact. Human beings do not feel happy all the time, and we do not feel sad all the time, and we do not feel angry all the time. I resent the idea that love is simplified to something temporary and incredibly conditional. I believe that by saying, "love is what I feel for you," you are saying that it is okay for your parents only to "love" you  when you do your chores. It is the same as saying that it is okay for your lover to "love" you only when you are naked. It is saying that you expect your friends only to love you when you pay for the chinese takeout. 

Love is not a feeling. Love is not something that changes with whim. Love is a state of being and a lifestyle. Love is saying, "I am willingly and unwillingly committed to someone or something." Love is saying, "I have a gravitational pull toward someone or something despite its circumstances." If an all powerful God, the One that supposedly made the universe is said to love us, then it is impossible for love to depend on the type of day you're having. Or, depending on your spiritual beliefs, if ANY higher power, or even just your parents, loved us conditionally, the equation wouldn't make sense. 

Love is much bigger than all of us. Love does things that we cannot. If love was just a feeling, it would be no greater than a change in temperature, and if feelings were as strong as love, it would set the world on fire.