Moving Forward in the Right Direction | Teen Ink

Moving Forward in the Right Direction

September 11, 2014
By Anonymous

Have you ever noticed how two people can look at the same situation and see two different things? One person may see the situation in a positive way. Another person may see the same situation in a negative way with no possible way out.

Is it better to look at things as the glass half empty or half full?

Those that look at it half full are much more confident in themselves, the world, and the circumstances around them. They see and think positively. This affects their ability to see options when the difficult times come. They don’t see the difficulties as difficulties but as opportunities.

So why would anyone want to look at life as half empty?

Those people are people who don’t like to be surprised by disappointments or obstacles. They always want to be prepared for things that may not happen. As a result, they are always looking at situations with “What if this goes wrong” or “What will I do”. They spend a ridiculous amount of time mentally preparing for plan B, C, D, and E to account for all the possible negative outcomes.

After evaluating both types of people, it is better to approach life as the glass half full. Too much energy is spent on focusing on outcomes that never happen rather than enjoying the here and now. This negative perspective on life prevents us from being open to new ideas that can lift us up into new realms of possibilities.

So how does someone move from being a half empty person to a half full person?

The first step is for anyone is to recognize where you are and “stop”. Take an assessment of where you are headed. Somewhere negative or somewhere positive? If you are headed in a negative direction, make a conscience effort to stop and move in a positive direction. Change your thought process. Another step would be to document your blessings about your situation. Make a list of 10 things that you are thankful for in the situation. Changing your mindset is not an easy task. It takes deliberate effort and takes practice. Wherever you are in life, it is always a good idea to take an assessment.

Are you headed in the direction you want? Are you happy with the outcomes of your decisions? Are you a half full person or a half empty person? Are you happy with the outcomes of your choices?

Now is your chance. Your past choices don’t have to be your future choices. If positive is the way you want to think and progress in your life, then make that decision and move forward in a positive way.

I believe this is best summarized by a quote said by Joel Osteen. “ You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.’”