Love Triangle | Teen Ink

Love Triangle

By AURELIANO BRONZE, Richland, Mississippi
AURELIANO BRONZE, Richland, Mississippi

"Why not me"

Love Triangle
In the short story of A Rose for Emily, William Faulkner creates a character by the name of Homer Barron who arrives in the little southern town of Jefferson catching everyone’s attention. Faulkner depicts him as a man that is an outsider to the community, because he is from the North, but at the same time he is entertaining to the towns people. Unfortunately he is the obsession of Miss Emily Grierson and the result of this relationship is tragic.

Homer was not that hard to spot out of every other guy in Jefferson because he was “big, dark, ready man, with a big voice and eyes lighter than his face.” He worked for a construction company that had been hired to do work on the town sidewalks. Most people can tell he was from the North a “ Yankee” is what southern people call people from up North. Faulkner points out that he dressed funny and had a unusual voice. So when he went out people knew who he was because he became the center of gossip among the woman. In addition of him moving to Jefferson he brings an innovation to the rapidly changing world of this little town, whose new leaders are themselves pursuing more “modern” ideas because how he spoke, and how he dressed, and how present his self while he was out in public. Faulkner uses his looks to make those around him think that he is better then them but, in all reality he is just like them.

Faulkner uses Homer Barron’s appearance to make woman fall in love with him. But he did not imagine someone like Miss Emily having an obsession with Homer. Because Miss Emily wasn’t the most appearing woman in the world. But they hung out often on Sundays. When Miss Emily’s cousins came into town for a week. Homer left and he came back when they were leaving. Later on when he got back in town Miss Emily knows Homer is not the settling-down kind of guy. She refuses to allow a second man leave her. She kills him so that she can be with him forever. She refuses to let go. The murder was premeditated because she had purposely gone to the store to purchase arsenic. She held herself above the law because she did not really feel that she needed to give a reason for wanting the poison. Miss Emily, in her own mind, probably felt that she had the right to do what she was doing. After all, she was the proud daughter of the captain.

Due to Homer Barron actions some people think that he was an entertainer. Because wherever there was a loud group of laugher he was the center of attention. He also a negative attention toward him among the gossip some person in the town thought that Homer was gay. Homer said “She will persuade him yet," because Homer himself had said “ he liked men, and it was known that he drank with the younger men in the Elks' Club , that he was not a marrying man.” So when Miss Emily herd that she couldn’t accept that he wasn’t going to marry her so she decided to never let him go. So she killed him.

All though out the story that wasn’t much to say about Homer but Faulkner gives many examples how homer was an outsider to the towns people of Jefferson. Also how he was Miss Emily obsession that lead to his deaf. Her selfness and over barrenness gave other people the thought that he was gay.

The whole thing really leads you into question like what will happen next?