Long distance relationships can work | Teen Ink

Long distance relationships can work

So I'm 18, many people have called me crazy for being in such a dedicated long distance relationship but its true you cannot help who you fall in love with.

I have known my boyfriend for over a year and a half now and we have always been close, but the last few times that we saw each other really made us both realise that we want to be more serious. He went back home, to Australia and I was left in England. Since he left we have been so serious about each other we know we want each other and we will not give up until we have each other. I have had many people asking me how we make it work with such a long distance between us so here's some tips to help others make there long distance relationships work as well as ours.

Trust-

No relationship works will work without trust but its especially important within long distance relationships. Just trust your partner if they really wanted to be with someone else or cheat do you think they would have agreed to start a long distance relationship?

Communication-

Communication is extremely important in long distance relationships me and my boyfriend text a lot and often have phonecalls or facetime each other, ensure that you make time for your partner, don't think that you can make a long distance relationship work without dedicating a lot of time and effort because trust me it takes a lot of time and effort to keep the relationship healthy.

Future-

Talk about being together in the future or when you're next going to see each, this is a positive topic to talk about and will give you both something to look forward to and maybe take your mind off how much you miss each other.

Be open about your feelings-

If something's worrying you about the relationship talk about it! If you hold it in it can make your attitude towards your partner change without you even realising and this could ultimately change there feelings towards you.

Be supportive-

Treat your partner just the same as you would treat them if they were living close to you, support them with decisions that they make ensure that they always know your there to support them through everything because this will make sure that they know how much you still.

I myself had a negative attitude towards long distance relationships I always thought how can you love someone who you barely get to see? and be with? but now I completely understand, my boyfriend lives on the other side of the world from me but I would be lost without him.

I hope this can help people understand long distance relationships better.