What is Love? | Teen Ink

What is Love?

By Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once."-- John Green The Fault in Our Stars

This is a question that I have pondered in my head for a long time. I have asked many people what love is in their opinion, and one of the first things I found is that you have to be specific on what type of love, and what the question means. Of course I originally meant it as in romantic love, a lot of people showed me that you can think of it just in the romantic sense. So what are the types of love? Well I would have to say that there is the love towards a family member, there is romantic love of course, there is the love you feel towards a friend, and then hate, some people would say hate is the opposite of love, but I had a friend tell me that to hate, you have to love and truly care about somebody, so it will be included.

I will start with my favorite kind of love, the kind with a friend. This is probably the easiest type of love to find. It is felt towards the best of friends, and when you love your friend in this way, they are like a sibling that you don't want to kill. Most say that this is the strongest type of love, yet the least important. With this type of love genders don't effect it, you can love anybody as a friend, and some would say it is the type of love that you get the most choice with. I think that the love you have for your friends is something you should cherish, your friends are people who help you through the hard times, and they may even help you find the romantic love. The love towards a friend can even develop into romantic love. The love you feel for a friend can be pretty special.

I think I want to talk about the kind of love that you are all waiting for: romantic love. It is complicated, and it is weird. It causes some of the greatest joy, and pain what more could you want. There are many different definitions of romantic love, and maybe different types. Some say that true love is the one romantic love that you think of when you look back at your life as you die, some say that it doesn't exist because the odds of finding it are too low. I can't say which is true, but I hope to know someday. Romantic love is something special you share with somebody who you care a great deal about. Most people would give there lives for the person they love, and that special. You share your lives with a person you love in a romantic sense. This is said to be one of the greatest things a human can feel. When you love somebody you will do anything for them. When you want to be with somebody so bad that you would give anything for it, then you have this love. When you can't live without somebody, then you love them. Take care of those who you love in this way, though it is the hardest one to know if it is real or not you should always believe.

Now for the love you have for the people in your family, that love that is so important to the world. It is heavily disputed on weather this is the most important type of love, or if that is romantic love, as the love you have for your family wouldn't exist without romantic love. This is the love of a mother to her children, the love of a brother and sister. This is the kind of love that can't go way, once your family your stuck family forever. You can't change who your brothers and sisters are in the traditional sense, those are the people that you have to love, because you share DNA. When you have a family you stick with them and you help each other. It is amazing how much this type of love can endure. It cannot be abolished, you can stack hatred on top of it, but you can't get rid of it. It's something you need. You should keep your family close to you, they are the ones that will stick with you through it all. They help you through the years when your too young to do it all on your own, they give you the opportunities you get, and you should never take that for granted. Though there are some bad families, they still have that love, it just has pain stacked on top of it.

This brings me to hate. I think hate is a type of love, because when you truly hate somebody, you care about them a great deal. You may wish for there death, but you think about them just as much as you think about those you love, maybe even more. Hatred is a very complicated thing, so I won't really go into it. It may seem the complete opposite of love, but they have a lot in common.

Now I must include this, as it is what scientist call love. There are certain chemicals released in your head and what not that cause love, but thinking about all of that is not fun. Though the chemicals are released when you find a suitable match for you that seems like it will go good with your genes, and hopefully help you be the best you can be. Our brains are the best match makers out there, because they release chemicals when you find the match for you. It is an amazing thing really.

So I covered all of the love that I could think of. I hope that someday I can look back at this and see gaps, and find ways to look at love differently. I hope to find out more about love as I grow and learn. I hope all of you learn more about love. I also hope that I have given you some helpful insight.

This is dedicated to the girl I love in the romantic way: MrsWho42, I love you forever and always.

Caro said...
Simply love it ... I enjoy the story and the way it flows . I find it emotionally very rich ... I think you truly have a talent for writing

Person said...
Since this is argumentative, you shouldn't say, "I think recycling should be mandatory", because thinking is for a weak argument.