This Is Frienship | Teen Ink

This Is Frienship

January 31, 2014
By saumyadeepa PLATINUM, Kandy, Other
saumyadeepa PLATINUM, Kandy, Other
36 articles 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
A mother's love is like the ocean it's pure and wide.
Life is like a painting one wrong move and it's hard to bring it back to normal.
(I created these quotes)


‘Sometimes you think you’ll be fine by yourself, cause a dream is a wish that you make all alone. It’s easy to feel like you don’t need help but it’s harder to walk on your own. ‘The first verse of the Gift of a Friend by Demi Lovato.
Every time I sing it, tears stream into my eyes, partially because of sadness and partially because of joy. Sadness cause I realise that the ones I thought were true friends don’t even care and that everything I did for them was for nothing.
Happiness because I finally found true friends.
What is friendship?
I think it’s a whole different form love. We all love our friends, do we not? But we don’t usually say it, do we?
Our true friends know everything about us. Sometimes they understand and know us better than anyone else in the world.
How many movies about friendship are there?
I didn’t really count but every movie I watched with theme friendship made me understand that friendship goes beyond our understanding.
Why do we do so much for our friends?
The obvious answer would be… “Duh! Because they’re my friends!”
Well yes, but what if there’s a deeper answer?
Like…hmm…I’m sorry but I’m no philosopher but I tend to think a lot…about why does this happen? Why is my friend, my friend? And so many other things that are unanswered. I can’t help it…things flow into my head, I type it and publish it so that the world would see.
But whether it makes any sense to anyone or not, I don’t know.
Someone once said that what I try to bring across through my thoughts is amazing and that I really talk about questions most don’t think about.
Another person said that what I write is confusing but what I say is important.
Two both of you, I give a really BIG THANK YOU!
I left my country for four years to go to another country quite far away…I met friends there, had fun and then it was time for me to return back home.
So I came to my country and joined a school.
As someone who has just arrived from abroad, everything was new to me. I was a girl who didn’t care about what anyone thought, I didn’t care about how anyone felt, I was arrogant,stubborn,bad-tempered,I believed that what I believed was right and that I could never be wrong but I was wrong.
I was greatly mistaken.
Thinking back, I realize that who I was, is not the real me.
All I tried to do since the first time I got here was to get attention.
I was so used to being the center of attention that I didn’t understand how I wasn’t paid attention to here.
There I was the only one from my country, I was different.
But here, almost everyone was of my nationality and the only difference was who we were inside.
Time past by and I realized no one liked me…I was lost.
‘Who am I?’ I asked myself but there was no answer.
I didn’t understand anything. I needed to shut up for a while and listen to what the wind and earth tried to tell me.
But I didn’t know how to keep quite and all of a sudden something strange happened which silenced me. (I don’t want to mention what cause even I’m not sure.)
I tried to speak but my voice would not come out.
It had decided to have take breaks from work and leave me speechless.
Being unable to talk when you to, is a very strange experience.
It’s like having to wear this really ugly dress or having to have a tooth taken out but not be able to protest against it.
At that time, I had a few friends but after a while…they had to leave.
I was alone again.
I slowly started to like the new me. I listened to others rather than always jabbering away.
Then I heard what others had to say and I realized that you not only have to talk but you also have to learn to listen.
Being quite didn’t bring me any friends. I didn’t expect it to either.
Things went on this way and I was left with no true friend.
I would stare out of the class window everyday, wondering when my true friend would come along. I prayed and prayed till my knees hurt from kneeling.
And when all hope seemed to be lost, as if sent by God, a new girl came to our class.
She was pretty, funny and the kind of girl everyone would want to be friends with.
By then I had gotten used to rejection that once the girl started to talk to me, I said “I’m not that much of a talker. You won’t have much fun with me.”
She smiled. “That’s alright.” She said
I smiled and felt like an idiot for saying that. Some of the other girls called her to come to the front and as she walked towards them, I said to myself “There goes another person who could have been a great friend. You have such bad luck.”
But I was wrong. As time passed by, the new girl and I became good friends and after some more time, we became best friends. Now she’s the best friend I could ever wish for. I thanked God for this amazing friend.
Two years and another passed and our friendship remained.
People said many things about my friend but I didn’t care.
When I needed a friend, no one talked to me but when I found one, they all try to take her away from me.
I don’t let go of things I love, trust and care about easily…same applies to people I believe, trust and care about.
So with tons of people advising me to forget the friendship I had with her, I carried the friendship on. I found a friend and no one can make me forget her.
I found another friend too…
I didn’t really think he would talk to me and never thought he would be my friend.
But he did become my friend and an awesome one too!
While some guys don’t even sit near me and take away their tables and chairs and sit by themselves, make me feel unwanted and make me feel like a total outsider, he makes me feel wanted and important .
With my two best friends, I don’t have to pretend to be anyone else but myself.
I have another friend who I can’t forget.
She sometimes drives me crazy at times with certain things she does and makes me lose my temper thought she doesn’t know she does but above all that, she’s a good friend.
My friends and family are my greatest wealth and mean everything to me.
‘My best friends are like miracles from God. From the very beginning they treated me exactly the same and make me feel as I really exist in the world and that I’m a part of it. They make me feel important, happy, and special. I feel as if I’ve won the world when they’re with me. My Family is another miracle from God, I love them with all my heart.’
As long as I’ve got my friends and family with me, there’s nothing I want more.
We’re not all the same, we’re special in our own way, and that’s what makes the world an amazing place. And we should learn to embrace the differences in others and adjust according to them so that everyone is happy.
We shouldn’t push away whatever we don’t like. If we throw away something just because it’s different or not up to your liking, how will we ever discover something new? Meeting new people is like trying a new game. It might seem hard, unusual, and not so pleasant but when you try it, it might be the best thing ever.
‘Never judge a book by it’s cover’ I don’t really remember who said that but that person was right. Outside a book may seem dusty, old, and boring but once you let the words escort you, you will discover something amazing.
The same is with people, a person may seem boring, proud, and obstinate, and not worth talking to but if you give the person a chance to show who they really are, you’ll realize that they’re so much more than they seem to be.

Some people seem to be nice but are cruel inside; some seem cruel but are really, pretty nice.
So be careful……..
I started with friends and now where have I stopped? This is what happens when I get carried away with my thoughts. Anyway, a little advice…
If you wanna know what a person is like, never ask others. Just get to know for yourself.
Don’t judge a person as soon as you meet them. Take some time to get to know them and the come to conclusions as to who they are.
Looks aren’t important, it’s who we are inside that matters.
Don’t assume, be positively sure.
Never assume anything, find out for sure if what you thought was right.
Just because you hear it, just because you see it, just because you feel it, doesn’t always mean it’s true. So before taking a decision about anything, make sure you listen to it and see it carefully and make sure instincts are right.
And just because we’re good at something, doesn’t mean the other is not. We all have different talents, so never laugh at people when they make mistakes.
Just because someone does something better than you and seems to be stealing you place, don’t get angry with that person. Try to learn from him/her.
Try telling them how you feel. Don’t try to get even. Making someone miserable will get you nothing.

There’s a lot more I can say, I mean type, but things are kinda getting unrelated and I think I said enough. So good bye for now…
Hope to write something again soon and Good Luck with your life.

A special note to Ann, Fiona, Selena, Chamathka, Christine and all of my friends in C.A.I.S Hong Kong. If you still remember me, well I just wanted to say that I’m doing great and have never forgotten anyone of you.
And to my 3 amazing friends: Thank you, thank you, thank you for being my friend.
Yours Truly, Ama


The author's comments:
Dedicated to my two best friends in the whole universe!