How Thick is Your Heart? | Teen Ink

How Thick is Your Heart?

January 28, 2014
By TrinityLynn GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts
TrinityLynn GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts
10 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. it's about learning to dance in the rain"


How thick is your heart? We spend life nailing pieces of armor onto it each and every day. Armor so no one can get inside. You are only given one heart so once it is gone, so are you. There is no recovery from a broken heart. There is no way to mend it once it’s been wounded. So who invented love and why? Love is just a way of giving your heart up to perish, returning the bullet to your shooter so he/she can try again.

Love is the result of failed armor. You spend all this time protecting your heart and emotions, protecting them from some cruel person who will try to break down your barriers. You try to protect yourself from nothing, but heartbreak. That is all that love leads up to, heartbreak. The glorious image of a fairytale ending and the princess and prince is just what it is called, a fairytale. None of those things exist. Those are torture devices our media has come up with. They are images they tease us with even though we know it will never happen. These images are the bait. They look good, but end up in disaster.

As you go through life there will be someone cruel enough to squeeze their way into your heart. They will try to break down the barriers you have spent your whole life building. Whoever that person may be, they will get in if you let them. Your protection will not be strong enough. You will let that deceiving person in to pull, and tug, and rip at your heart. They will trick you into letting them in, and you will let them in.

You most likely will not believe what is being said right now. Most people don’t, because of the fairytale image that the media has created. You can say that you will be strong. You will not be gullible. You will stick your ground. But when it comes down to it, no one really does. Everyone falls into the pit of love-- the torture chamber. Love is no different than that fake contest on your computer that ends up spamming you.

The lyrics in the love songs of today, yesterday, and tomorrow have been written by people with no experience. The lyrics to the songs of heart break are written by people who have been fooled. The sad thing about love is that you never truly understand it, until you have felt the pain. Love is not a subject in school or a hobby you can study. It is not a test you can ace, because eventually everyone fails. As no one has the same finger print, no one has the same story. They may be similar, but they are never exactly the same. The only thing that is the same in every love story is that eventually you get fooled by a cruel person, and it all ends in failure. That’s how all love stories end.

So when that time comes, when some villain pries open the armor that guards your heart, toys with your emotions, and then throws it aside, don’t feel alone. That is how everyone’s love story ends: heartbreak, deception, lies, betrayal, and sorrow. No one knows why love ends this way, or why it is such a gigantic contradiction, but it is. The worst thing of all is that you are aware of how painful it will be. You are aware that it will end in heartbreak. You are aware that nothing but regret will come from it, but we get sabotaged by it anyways.

The villain who enters your heart will block your clear vision and convince you that love is wonderful. Then, once you are brought back to reality again, it is as if you were not in this world. It is as if you were stuck in a concussion and just regained your consciousness. You do not realize how foolish you are being when you are in love. Then, later on, you look back on the memories and ask yourself, “How did I fall for that?”

Soul mates. Lovers. “Meant to be.” They are all a façade. Why is it that we use the adjective lovely to mean beauty, when it is a derivative of the word love? Love -- the worst creation. Your heart is not an experiment. There are no re-dos. You only have one, and when you damage it there is almost no way to recover. Love starts out great and ends up as one big regret. Heart break, deception, lies, questions, low self-esteem, blindness, pessimism, hopelessness, despair, misery, anguish, depression, sorrow, betrayal, foolishness, wonder, disillusion, backstabbing, lack of comfort, fear, and tears are all the sorrowful results of love. Love is not a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection.

How thick is your heart? I bet you it’s not thick enough.


The author's comments:
This piece was inspired by a rough time, a mentally dark place, and Neil Gaiman's quote, "Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.” At the time this is what I believed, but looking back at this piece I do not agree with most of what I said. I hope people do not believe everything in here, but merely read this as a piece of life.