do what YOU love | Teen Ink

do what YOU love

By Conner Beth Ball BRONZE, Madison, Mississippi
Conner Beth Ball BRONZE, Madison, Mississippi

Everyone says to do what you love. But what if what you love isn’t making others happy or what if your doing what others want you to and it doesn’t make them happy. I am a golfer, a very good one as a matter of fact. I love the game of golf and so does my father. But at a certain point I wonder whether I am playing the game because I love it or because he loves it. I’ve been playing golf since I was 4 years old. I can’t believe I’ve played for over 10 years. But what’s even crazier is that I don’t remember one time that I played with absolutely no pressure. I get pressure thrown at me all the time, not because he is a basketball coach and is crazy, but because I have played for so long. I don’t even remember the last time that I was really happy being out there while he was out there.

I know one thing that makes me really happy but it makes everyone else not happy. I want to be a lawyer. I love Mock Trails.. But every time it comes up in conversation or I talk about how rehearsals go I get laughed at. Not only do I get laughed at but I get told that I need to go back to the golf course and focus on what I’m good at (golf). I am the best person on my entire mock trial team, but they don’t even know because they never come to any of my competitions!

So the point of this article is to say that whatever you love to do, you need to go and do it. I’m not giving up on Mock Trials just because my parents don’t support it. I’m not quitting golf because it makes my family happy. There can be a happy medium in everything. But it’s only a happy medium if your happy. So do what you love and become happy.

Making yourself happy.