Required Love | Teen Ink

Required Love

By BlindingOrchid BRONZE, Evening Shade, Arkansas
BlindingOrchid BRONZE, Evening Shade, Arkansas

“Words don’t hurt you.” Which is one of the hugest criminal lies perpetrated by adults against children in this world. Because words hurt more than any physical pain.” -UnWholly by Neal Shusterman

The first thing anyone teaches you about love is that you should always love your family. Your family is the only thing that you should love no matter how bad they are to you, that it doesn’t matter if your mother molested you or your father beat you they are still deserving of your love because you share genetic relations. They always say “blood is thicker than water” and refuse to believe that their friend or their sibling is capable of child abuse, people would always make excuses or try to redefine child abuse so that they wouldn’t fit it, so that they could hit and scream to their hearts content, and I’ve learned that very few of your family member will ever defend the absence of love in your heart for a family member and that people fail to realize that if that same person was a friend and not a blood relative they would beg you to cut all ties. If your mother spends all of the child support she get’s from your father on her instead of using it reasonably for food and other things you need you have every reason to hate her. If your father decides that doing certain activities like painting your nails or drawing means you aren’t a man thinks a beating is the proper course of action you have every reason to hate him. Your brothers and sisters aren’t anymore entitled to your love either, if they’ve outed you, stolen from you, or any manner of things, you have reason to simply dislike or hate them.
It took me a long time to realize that family doesn’t deserve any kind of love until they’ve earned it like everyone else. It took my mother almost losing her job because of my brother, it took my brother outing me to my family and my neighborhood because he was mad at me,his theft of funds and items from my mother and I, it took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that I didn't have to love my brother and that he didn't have to love me. If a family member is toxic you have no reason to love or hate them unless they give you reason too. The saying people use against you is actually said "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" meaning relationships forged by choice are stronger than family ties. Remember that you aren't required to love anyone, being family doesn't mean they automatically get your love they have to earn it like everyone else.