Is Love Worth It? | Teen Ink

Is Love Worth It?

By Dianax BRONZE, Natick, Massachusetts
Dianax BRONZE, Natick, Massachusetts

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

I see him. He’s standing there. Do I go over to him? Talk to him? My head hurts. Too many thoughts in my brain swirling around and I don’t know what to do.

What are you supposed to do when the one person who seems to be able to make all your troubles disappear, the one person who is always there to make you laugh when you’re in a time of despair, is the one who hurts you the most? Who do you talk to? Where do you turn? There’s no one else who can make it better. There is only you.

How do we deal? Find someone else? But it’s so hard to trust people these days. Do we take a risk and try to love again, or do we try to keep to ourselves so we never have to experience the pain of losing something we care more than anything about ever again?

Why is it so hard to lose something that you, at one time, lived perfectly fine without before? We know we can live without it, yet we feel like there’s no way we can. Love is the closest thing we have to magic, and no one wants to have to let it go. But experiencing a strong love, and knowing what seems to work for you and what doesn’t, should only make the next love you find better, shouldn’t it? But maybe it doesn’t.

Love doesn’t make any sense. We have no control over it. Like Albert Einstein once said, “Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love.” All logic seems to go right out the door when love is involved. Feelings get in the way, and more often than not, its effects are completely damaging. Yet we keep looking for love. Going through heartbreak after heartbreak until we find someone who doesn’t break our heart, but rather tapes together all the broken pieces that have chipped off along the way. And even though there is so much that we have endured along the way to this final happily-ever-after love, we are taught that the last love makes everything worth while. But does it?

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I like this. I like that even though you've written this you're still not so certain about love. I ecspecailly like the Einstien quote. Bravo.