Trying to Describe Love | Teen Ink

Trying to Describe Love

June 9, 2013
By F.Ryan SILVER, Reston, Virginia
F.Ryan SILVER, Reston, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou


Is there a word that describes the moment you first step foot into a roller coaster? The initial thought of it is so terrifying, yet so exhilarating, but you know that the experience will prove to be worth it. As you step in, your nerves take over. There’s a sudden urge and want to get it over with. Your heart is pounding as you climb up the mountainous hill, waiting for it to fall as you reach the top; the rush is already beginning to eat away at your skin and bones. You can see where you’re heading and you can feel the turn in your stomach—that queazy feeling right in the pit of it—but you can’t move. The anticipation of that climb, knowing where it’s going to take you is enough to make you want to scream. You’re afraid, yes, but you’re afraid of the adrenaline it will give you (although your prior, irrational fear of heights may contribute largely to this). That rush and excitement is all too much for you to handle, yet you were so willing to get on in the first place to experience it, to let it consume you, and to have said that it wasn’t as terrifying as others made it out to be. It was fun? No, it was more than fun. It was the best thrill you think you’ve ever had in your life.

And in this sense, I believe that love is like a roller coaster.


The author's comments:
So, I wanted to write for a bit because I haven’t really written about anything interesting in a while. I was hoping to compare two things, but it just turned out to be a little creative writing piece.