Fighting the Current | Teen Ink

Fighting the Current

By juliakimi SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington
juliakimi SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington

Have you ever heard the saying, “Only dead fish follow the flow?” Well its a fishing saying thats means only the dead fish follow the current and if you are alive, you fight the current. This is also called being rebellious, which a little bit of it is healthy, but too much of anything can kill you. This old saying describes what Romeo and Juliet tried to do/did that ended them and their loved ones in their graves. In The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, two star-cross lovers tried to swim against the current to their “happily ever after,” when things go wrong. The one to blame for these outcomes I say were one these very two love birds, Romeo. Romeo first ignores a warning dream that he had and attends an enemies party, he injects juliet with love drugs, he goes against the current and decides to marry Juliet, he is in love with the idea of love, and then Romeo gets himself banished.

First, Romeo has a death dream of the future that he ignores. Romeo says, “I fear, too early; for my mind misgives, Some consequence yet hanging in the stars, Shall bitterly begin his fearful date, With this night’s revels and expire the term, Of a despisèd life, closed in my breast, By some vile forfeit of untimely death”(1.4.106-111). He dreamt that this day he would do something that would bring him death, yet knowing this may lead to his death, entered an enemies party. First of all shouldn’t you know better than to enter an enemies party? Being a rebel in his times ultimately lead to at least a sword fight or death, the penalties were much harsher than now. He of all people should know this as he is a top notch sword fighter. So on top of having a dream of death because of doing something today, he decides to go to an enemies part and even says, “But he that hath the steerage of my course, Direct my sail! On, lusty gentlemen!”(1.4.112-113). Truly, at this party he does something that leads to his death; falling in love with Juliet, which started the entire romance-leading-to-death. This is the first of many reasons why in the end Romeo, Juliet and other loved ones end up in their graves.
The second of reasons why what happened, happened, was because he injected Juliet with his love drugs. At first glance of Juliet Romeo exclaims, “ What lady’s that which doth enrich the hand, Of yonder knight?” (1.5.43-44). This basically means that already at first glance, romeo is already bewitched. He then goes on saying “O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright, It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night, As a rich jewel in an Ethiop’s ear—,Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!” (1.5.46-49). He doesn’t even know who she is, yet has already “fallen in love with her” saying crazy things like “she doth teach the torches to burn bright.” He then acts on his feelings and sneaks over to Juliet and infects her with his love drugs. She allows him to kiss her twice, showing she wants to be kissed; otherwise she would have turned him down at least the second time. You can tell she has clearly been emitted to these drugs when she says, “Go ask his name.—If he be marrièd, My grave is like to be my wedding bed” (1.5. 136-137). She says this after Romeo leaves the party, meaning she just kissed twice with someone whose name she didn’t even know and already “fallen in love with her.” Most people know that love makes you crazy things, and because of this love the play ended with them (Romeo and Juliet) and their loved ones pushing up daisies.
Third, the play ended as it did because of the fact that Romeo goes against the current even as he finds out that she is a foe and still tries to marry her. Romeo says later as they see each other once more at Juliet’s balcony, “The exchange of thy love’s faithful vow for mine” (2.2.127). By this he asks for Juliet to swear him her love. This is what I believe sparks Juliet’s idea of marriage as she later says, “Three words, dear Romeo, and good night indeed. If that thy bent of love be honorable, Thy purpose marriage, send me word tomorrow” (2.2.142-144). By this Juliet says that if your love is true then you must seek marriage, and if he does then he shall propose a wedding plan by tomorrow. Romeo (who infected her in the first place) agrees to the proposal and starts planning the wedding. This wedding of course is against their families “currents” which they break, leading to their death. This is the third reason why the play ends with death.
Another reason why Romeo and Juliet end up dead is because Romeo is in love with the idea of Love. Romeo first in love with Rosaline and when Romeo tells the Friar that he had sweet sleep, the friar automatically thought that he was with Rosaline saying, “ God pardon sin! Wast thou with Rosaline?” (2.3.44). This shows that the Friar knew he was in love with Rosaline and thought that he were talking of her. So, at first Romeo is head-over-heels for Rosaline, but then he instantaneously forgets about “his love” when he sees Juliet saying, “ Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night” (1.5.54-55). He is saying that he never truly loved before seeing Juliet. Then what was Rosaline? This shows that he is not really in love and he just switched over to Juliet because she was prettier and he thought he might have a “happy ending” with her and promoting going against their parents wills to have “love” when it truly isn’t there. This is yet another reason why Romeo and Juliet end up in their graves.

To top it off, the plays end with death because of the fact that Romeo gets himself banished. In the midst of Romeo and Juliet's marriage Romeo fights with Tybalt and slays him. At first Romeo tried to keep things calm and not fight, but mercutio started the fight with Tybalt thinking Romeo was not in the condition to fight; taking a blow for his friend. Tybalt, then slays Mercutio when Romeo tries to stop the fight. Romeo says, “ Draw, Benvolio; beat down their weapons. Gentlemen, for shame! Forbear this outrage! Tybalt, Mercutio, the prince expressly hath Forbid this bandying in Verona streets. Hold, Tybalt! Good Mercutio!” (3.1. 87-91). Hear he is thinking wisely, trying to break up the fight but when tybalt slays his friend he does not do the same. He throws away his rational thinking and also any future he might have had with Juliet by slaying Tybalt out of anger. You can see he only recovers his rational thinking when he exclaims, “O, I am fortune’s fool!” (3.1.138). By this he shows that he now realizes what a horrible dead he had done, and the consequences that will come from it. He could not tame or hold in his anger, and knowing that he was Juliet's cousin (and now his own), he still slays Tybalt out of stupidity and anger. This caused the King to banish him, leaving the “wedding” at a halt. This then puts the “Juliet-death-plan” into work, ultimately causing both of them to actually die and the “happily ever after” they were thinking of vanishes. This is yet another reason why the play ends up with Romeo and Juliet both dead.

In conclusion, the play ends with the death of Romeo and Juliet’s death because of Romeo and his actions. First Romeo attends an enemies party, after having a warning dream of the outcome of this day. Then he injects juliet with love drugs, causing the entire story to start. He goes against the current and decides to marry Juliet, who is their sworn enemy (causing the secrecy). Romeo is in love with the idea of love, which makes him make stupid decsisions for the “happily ever after” that simply does not sexist.To finish it off, Romeo then gets himself banished causing the “juliet death plan” into action and ultimately killing both Romeo and Juliet. So, keep in mind this: This saying only goes for some cases, and sometimes it leads to destruction. Also keep in mind that too much of anything can kill you (as having too much “love” killed Romeo), so ration things in life and you will live longer.

This is more about who is to blame for the outcomes of the Tradegy Of Romeo and Juliet.