It All Started With One Brother... | Teen Ink

It All Started With One Brother...

By Briannaea BRONZE, Grafton, Wisconsin
Briannaea BRONZE, Grafton, Wisconsin

“Ok Nathan I don’t want to tell you again! I have told you too many times!” I thought having one brother was enough until two more came into the family. My two younger brothers were one and three. They were super cute with their little dimples that they had when they smiled. They also adored playing with people, and toys the most. When they got three years older, things went out of control! Being the only girl in the house was interesting, yet fun too. The thing is, I grew up with boys and everything that boys do. That made it very interesting, until...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Waking up to the sunny skies, the smell of my dog (which smelled like oranges but I don’t know why). I woke up to the breakfast smell too, “Yum, breakfast.” I stepped down the stairs hearing the sizzle of that crispy bacon getting crisper by the second!

“Mom, thanks for making breakfast, but why did you make so much?” I asked in an interested voice.
We only have three people living in our house: my mom, my brother, and me. There is my dog too but he doesn’t eat what we eat.
“We are having some visitors so get ready.” My mom said proudly. I was confused. Who was coming? Grandma and Grandpa? Aunt and uncle? Who?

I didn’t ask my mom who was coming, so I just thought as I ran up the stairs to get to my room. When I got up the stairs, I heard a loud knock on the door. “I’ll get it!” My mom called from downstairs.

“Ok this is getting really weird, I don’t know who is coming and I hope its not one of those snotty boyfriends that my mom always dates!”I said to myself. I heard this deep voice that sounded like a man in his late 20s. I finished getting dressed and sprinted down the stairs as fast as I possibly could to see who was at the door. I look at the front door and no one was there. Where are they? Looked in the living room, nothing. Where are they? I walked into the kitchen finding my mom, brother, a little kid around the age of 4, another little kid but 2 or 3, and lastly a handsome man, the one I probably heard at the door.

“Hello, I’m Brianna, and you are?”

“Hi Brianna, I’m Brian and these are my two younger sons, Nathan, and Landon,” Brian said politely.
I have never seen Brian. My mom would always say, “I’m going out to meet a friend. Be back as soon as I can!” I bet she was going to see Brian. For once I actually think my mom made a good choice on finding a boyfriend. My parents just got out of divorce and my mom moved to Cedarburg. We all had our crispy bacon, warm eggs, and smooth inside pancakes. This was hard for my mom to find the right man but I think she finally did! I’m so happy for my mom, and I’m glad she is happy too.

Ok so you think that I’m just going to talk about that Brian came over had breakfast with us, slept over, and that was it? Oh no! This is a long story but I’ll try to not bore you to death!

Brian stayed the rest of the day and slept over. It was fun playing with littler kids. I haven’t done that because I’m the youngest and my brother was 10, around that age when Brian came. He was sad; he liked living just with my mom. We both always saw my dad every other weekend. So as I was saying, two months passed and my mom and Brian were planning their wedding.

Wedding day came and we were all decorating and getting ready for people to come. The theme of the wedding was cards and poker. So in the middle of every table there was a basket of cards, a sign saying Poker, and other things relating to poker. When everyone was finished setting up, I went up to our room to see my mom. She was wearing a beautiful white dress with clear white pearls all over it. It was gorgeous. I left just before my mom saw me and ran back down to the room where everyone was waiting to be seated.

“ Brianna where have you been! I have been biting off my legs looking for you!” My grandma stomped over to tell me. She always says, “ Biting my legs off.”

“ Grandma, I went to go see what my mom looked like, and you still have both your legs on.”

“Ok that’s fine, just tell me where you're going next time okay?”

“Okay.”

I went to go sit at my table. Sitting in the white chair and looking at my name printed on a nice white card. “ Brianna Huber” it read. The music played and Brian and his men were standing beside him. My mom walking down the isle, me about to cry, and all the others, taking pictures, watching, sleeping, crying, and talking. A lot of things going on. They said their vows and the guy with the bible said, “ You may kiss the bride!”

I turned away so I couldn’t see. “Eww GROSS!!” said my stepbrother to be. We all celebrated and had fun, but when it was over we all fell fast asleep. The next morning we all woke up around 10 or 11. Right away we went swimming. The pool there was really nice. It had a waterfall, hot tub, slide, diving board, all the things we could think of. The best part was, IT WAS IN-DOORS!

You know now that I’m here in the present and I'm glad I got more brothers. Without them none of the things in my life would've ever happened. So think of it this way, I never really wanted more brothers. I really didn’t want one, but I’m glad that all of them are in my life. They really support me and we always have lots of fun as a family. We like playing big games, watch movies, or just hang out and laugh till we crash. So if I was an only child, it could be good. Getting all the big gifts at Christmas, doing whatever I want, and not having anyone to fight with. The people who have more siblings, it can be fun and not fun. We can have fun, play, laugh, and do all the exciting things as a family. Or we can fight, yell, etc. In life I just got to go with it. I have to do what I want to do. DO what's best. I have to just be nice to my brothers and/or sisters.