Our Choices= Our Mistakes | Teen Ink

Our Choices= Our Mistakes

By Likeaboss427 GOLD, Fort Belvoir, Virginia
Likeaboss427 GOLD, Fort Belvoir, Virginia

"But I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed---because 'Thou mayest.'" -Lee (East of Eden, John Steinbeck)

Being raised in society today is much different than it used to be. The main reason for this is that TIMES CHANGE. Our generation is raised to believe in a certain standard of living. For example, there are a certain set of grades you should earn, and a certain amount of relationships you should have been in by senior year. Also students in high school have to make a lot of decisions t when it comes to their friends, family, and population. Peer pressure just adds on to the stress of the life of that teen. We are at the age of curiosity. We are curious about life, drugs, and sex. But I’m going to focus on sex.

Sex is one of the major subjects that make teens uneasy, especially for teenaged girls. This is because girls are most interested in what people think of them than boys are. A girl is more likely to bring up the topic among her peers without saying that the question really applies to her. She might ask “What do you think is a good age to lose your’ virginity?” or “What would you think of someone who lost their virginity at this age?” and other questions along that line. Us girls do this because a lot of us don’t want our friends to think of us as the words that are used to describe the girl walking around school with her boobs out and her short-shorts. But we also want to do what bet for us.

Which brings me to my next topic: lots of teens of both genders enjoy sex for just that, sex. However, there are the couples that actually weigh the pros and cons of having sex. A couple may talk about the subject beforehand to make sure that that both partners are okay and ready. Lots of teens also believe that sex should wait until marriage (I am among those teens), but some teens just believe that if you are in love, sex is a good way to express your feelings for your partner.

The generation before us might have had a different view of the life of a teen but times have most definitely changed. There are many different opinions about what a teen should and shouldn’t do. But I believe, in order to get the most out of life, you must allow a young adult to make and learn from their own mistakes.