The Thing About Love

The thing about love is that it devours.

Anyone could throw together a couple lyrics and put a catchy melody to a love song. Anyone could kiss someone in a passionate way on the screen. But neither of these will truly capture love. And for that matter, why is it such a fascination of humans to capture love at all?

A little girl's princess fairytale instilled in her at that young age the idea of love. Every little girl with the same dream, to find a prince to sweep her off her feet. But why? What does a three year old who girl in her princess costume know of love? She knows that her daddy loves her, maybe. She knows that she loves her cat, maybe. But why would she have the idea that someday she will love a guy in a completely different way. The little girl has years before anyone will come to sweep her off of her feet, and maybe no one ever will, but she still plays in her princess dress and with pastel makeup just for her imaginary prince.

It's a method of manipulation, love. What every human is so fascinated by is really a monster set out to devour the world. And no one cares because they are distracted by the pretty lights that blur the dragon. Anyone would ask 'how could a love that engulfs the planet ever be a bad thing?', but they would look at it with a tunnel vision. That is precisely what it does: applies to the population an awful tunnel vision. Every good person forced to walk the Earth with no idea what they could see if they weren't so blinded by the pursuit of love. And the worst part is that they don't even really know what they are pursuing. It could be a million things that they find, but never what they set out for.

A world, plagued by the dream of love. So blinded that they can't even see that what they are grasping at is just a sick impersonation of the coveted thing. They think that with a little more love they could end all of the wars. And then they could end hunger and discrimination and cruelty. But no, love is what starts all of these issues. Love is the beautiful dame who persuades a man to take his own life just for her to say his name. Love is a thief. Who takes little girls, dressed in their princess dresses, and forces them to give their lives to the pursuit of their fairy tale. And love is a celebrity, the one captured on the screen in a romance movie or the singer of that love song that means nothing.

The people of the world love the idea of love because it is an idea that they don't understand. There are millions of books and thousands of movies and songs all created by or featuring stories of a human who claims to have discovered love. But, in reality, love may just be an undiscoverable entity. No one knows true love, they only know society's version, filled of obsession and infatuation. Yet no one cares, because they are obsessed and infatuated with the idea that they have. And what type of thing is love, anyway? It turns people into its slaves and laughs at their hunger, but never gives them any of its sweet ambrosia to try.

The thing about love is that it is blind. Blind to a world of adoring fans, begging for it to touch them for real. Fans forced to make their own conception of love which favors the popular and pretty and rich.

The thing about love is that it is not patient or kind like people have come to convince themselves. Love couldn't be more cruel.

OldYoungOneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm:
I agree with this when it comes to love songs. Love is blind and yet it is like the only thing that some people have to hope for, right? Love is like a child treat it a certain way it will grow up into either a monster that has come to devour you or ever growing investment your happy to have spent your time with. The issue today is that people fall in love and then don't maintain that love. I may write about it alot but I dont look at it with this over the top thing thats proably why I dont ... (more »)

Apollo77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:17 pm :
I don't know if we're thinking of the same kinds of love. I understand what you say for a long terrm thing, maybe a friend or  family love, but I'm talking about that terror that I see in every person on the street that their mate isn't out there and waiting for them. It enfuriates me. Because how could anyone expect anything spontanious and right from cupid if they keep just pressing and pressing and pushing for themselves to feel something. People are never going to know i... (more »)

Emma-Riley said...
i understand what you mean, about love songs that is. it's really hard to find good songs out there that aren't about a guy or a girl. i think that this is very well written! you're really good at opinion type writtng. good job