The Freedom to Love | Teen Ink

The Freedom to Love

Everyday gays are punished with harsh jokes and humor for others enjoyment, when the pouncing hyenas as the perpetrator doesn’t know the actual pain they are inflicting on the poor person. For day after day others torture other gay people for having the beliefs that they do. But what they don’t realize is that gay people are just the same as other people. They live, breathe, love, hate, cry, and laugh. We are all human. Why don’t we choose to act like it? Bullying gay teens doesn’t just hurt them. It has a chain reaction. It affects every person down the line. I know it has affected me a lot. I have friends that are gay, and to be in a group of prejudice individuals hurts you and fills you up with anger.

People are worried about being popular or funny that they hide in a shadow where they don’t fit. Being prejudice is not worth being those things. It might work for a while but sooner or later someone will change and those things won’t be important to you. Inflicting pain just to be right or feel inferior shouldn’t be allowed to be called human acts. That’s what monsters do. Are we all monsters?

What others do not understand is that you don’t have to agree with gays or support them or even be like them. But you don’t have to slam them with words and actions that make them feel they have no place in the world. For some reason we think we have to approve others choices. But actually, we don’t. It’s our job to live our own life, not others. Just leave them how they are and how they want to be. I’m sure that’s what everyone would want. No one deserves an eternity of hate and depression. We are all humans. I think its time we start acting like it. It’s hard to live in a world with monsters seeking out our every wrong move to hold it against us.

I had a best friend in the whole world that is gay. I could ruin her life and she could ruin mine. But we choose that being prejudice for real or fake isn’t worth it. We handle it like adults. And sometimes I think the real adults need the help. We are all guilty for gossip or hatred. But prejudice isn’t the same thing. Prejudice is a prejudgment of a person before you know who they are. And a preconceived belief, opinion, or judgment made without ascertaining facts. Gossip is idle talk or rumor, especially about the personal or private affairs of others. (It forms one of the oldest and most common means of sharing unproven facts and views, but also has a reputation for the introduction of errors and other variations into the information transmitted.) Maybe they sound the same but people view them differently. And some can cause big trouble.

I really feel it is a sad day for America when everyday I witness individuals who would rather die than endure one more day of relentless hatred and persecution. Children are dead by their own hand because they can’t handle anymore. Technology, the Internet, with its anonymity, have allowed people to behave like beasts. We pounce on the weak and howl with laughter when we inflict a wound that only the strongest could survive. What are we doing to ourselves? As a person, I am ashamed of all the parents and teachers who have failed to teach the most basic human lesson, "Live and let live" and "Do what you would want done to yourself." The normal, everyday kindness that we took for granted just a few years ago is in the past. How are we going to survive as a nation, when hate seems to be the only thing that motivates us? How many more are we going to sacrifice to the monsters of our own race? Isn't it time to stop?