Respect Me | Teen Ink

Respect Me

We've always known that we both wanted to wait. Sex before marriage was not only against our religion and moral values, but also against our better judgement. We don't look down on people who have done it or try to encourage others to believe our ideals. I consider myself lucky because unlike most girls my age I have a boyfriend who does not try to pressure me into having sexual intercourse. However, when it comes to our friends we are not so fortunate.
My friends were surprised to find out that after dating for a year and six months I still had not slept with my boyfriend. They encouraged me to give up my virginity to him. I couldn't understand why it mattered so much to them. They barely knew my boyfriend and our relationship had no effect on their lives.
At first their badgering didn't bother me. It was just their opinion. Then it started to stress me out. guys encourage my boyfriend to "get some" or "tap that". One of our best friends texted him on my birthday and told him to "get some leg". It broke my heart. The people I care about don't seem to care about me at all. When it comes down to our friendship and their hormones I lose every time.They stop seeing me as a friend. In their eyes I'm just a virgin.
Peer pressure is starting to have a negative effect on my relationship. I constantly question the motives behind everything my boyfriend does or says. He hasn't tried to make me do anything I am uncomfortable with. But I've witnessed nice guys turn into disgusting pigs in a heart beat and I am terrified that he will be the same way. It doesn't matter how much I care about my boyfriend I will not have sex because I owe myself respect. He loves me enough to wait. I just wish my friends respected our decision.

Sir_Bromsten said...
Sir_Bromsten, Scottsdale, Arizona

So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
-Helen Keller

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier.  This is one of the very first articles I have read here that is written from a virtuous and ethical point of view.  As a guy myself, I hope to see more articles from you, Supernova7, and from others on here who have similar views on life and relationships.  I will try to write an article soon too in this category if I have some free time.

Sir_Bromsten said...
Sir_Bromsten, Scottsdale, Arizona

-Helen Keller

You're very welcome!  Always glad to help!

on Oct. 8 2012 at 11:07 am
Supernova7 GOLD, Redford, Texas

Let me cry my tears let me live in sorrow as long as you promise to be with me tomorrow
By Me:)

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your positive feedback and advice:)

Sir_Bromsten said...
Sir_Bromsten, Scottsdale, Arizona

-Helen Keller

I understand what you mean and completely agree with you and your boyfriend.  You are both striving to attain a beautiful picture of a relationship, and it's makes my heart sad to see that being abbused by your friends and peers.  If you are frightened somewhat that your boyfriend my give in to the peer pressure that is being put on top of him, I can tell you for sure that the best way to make sure he doesn't, is to be a positive source of encouragment and praise for him.  I'm assuming that you are both best friends, so if you continually remind him how proud you are of him and how you greatly value his friendship, then he won't care what his other friends say.  But if you both constantly get negative content from your friends then both of you remember this: If you can't "change" your friends, then you need to "change your friends."  I sincerely hope this is an encouragment to the both of you.  God Bless!