Respect Me | Teen Ink

Respect Me

September 23, 2012
By Anonymous

We've always known that we both wanted to wait. Sex before marriage was not only against our religion and moral values, but also against our better judgement. We don't look down on people who have done it or try to encourage others to believe our ideals. I consider myself lucky because unlike most girls my age I have a boyfriend who does not try to pressure me into having sexual intercourse. However, when it comes to our friends we are not so fortunate.
My friends were surprised to find out that after dating for a year and six months I still had not slept with my boyfriend. They encouraged me to give up my virginity to him. I couldn't understand why it mattered so much to them. They barely knew my boyfriend and our relationship had no effect on their lives.
At first their badgering didn't bother me. It was just their opinion. Then it started to stress me out. guys encourage my boyfriend to "get some" or "tap that". One of our best friends texted him on my birthday and told him to "get some leg". It broke my heart. The people I care about don't seem to care about me at all. When it comes down to our friendship and their hormones I lose every time.They stop seeing me as a friend. In their eyes I'm just a virgin.
Peer pressure is starting to have a negative effect on my relationship. I constantly question the motives behind everything my boyfriend does or says. He hasn't tried to make me do anything I am uncomfortable with. But I've witnessed nice guys turn into disgusting pigs in a heart beat and I am terrified that he will be the same way. It doesn't matter how much I care about my boyfriend I will not have sex because I owe myself respect. He loves me enough to wait. I just wish my friends respected our decision.