The Soulmate Principle

I don’t believe in soulmates. I wish I did, but I don’t. Ever since I was a little girl, I was taught that everyone had their Prince Charming, their knight in shining armor. When I got older, I started to figure out that reality is a lot harsher than the Brothers Grimm would have us believe. People die, families live in poverty, there’s a high rate of unemployment and drugs and alcohol can corrupt even the most decent of people. It’s simply illogical to think that fairytales can come true. We’ve already disproven fairy godmothers, wicked witches, and little men named Rumplestiltskin. Why should we belive that the one other element of the fairytale is true? Prince Charming doesn’t exist. Girls everywhere have been waiting for their perfect guy. I’m sorry ladies, but he probably isn’t out there. “Perfect” love is saved only for romance novels and Hollywood. In reality, people will have to settle. There is no relationship that is perfect. We will have to work with the next best thing. It stinks, I know. But it’s just reality.

To be honest, I hope I’m wrong.

MissInkslinger said...
Agreed! I'm tired of hearing everyone talk about the knight in shining armour and soulmate and other half and whatever other soppy names there are. Maybe I'm a cynic or maybe I'm a realist, but I don't take what I read when I was six completely seriously. I don't believe in talking bears or evil witches in gingerbread houses or magical princes whose sole purpose in life is to sing duets with you.