Young Love | Teen Ink

Young Love

Love is the feeling you get when you find a person that’s part of you. They make you feel complete as a person. The most profound love a person can find is in a partner. Romeo and Juliet in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet are in love. Romeo and Juliet both understand aspects of love before they meet each other, they are sure that they have feelings for each other from first sight, and they are willing to commit their entire lives to each other.

In Act 1, it is clear that Romeo is heartbroken because Rosaline left him. Through his grief, he gives us an idea of what he knows about love. He exclaims, “Alas that love, whose view is muffled still, /Should without eyes see pathways to his will!” (1.1. 176-77). He is explaining how Cupid, who is pictured as being blindfolded, still managed for him to fall in love with Rosaline. Even though it didn’t work out, Cupid had a reason for pairing the two together. Therefore, Romeo knows that his true love is still out there waiting for him. Juliet, on the other hand, is much more cautious in her feelings about love. She says to her mother and nurse, “I’ll look to like, if looking liking move. /But no more deep will I endart mine eye /Than your consent gives strength to make <it> fly” (1.4. 103-05). Although Romeo and Juliet haven’t met yet, they seem like they would be perfect for each other. Romeo is searching for love, and Juliet is waiting for it.

During the party hosted by the Capulets, Romeo sees Juliet for the first time and falls for her immediately. Romeo says, “Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight, /For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night” (1.5. 59-60). Juliet knows she loves Romeo as well. “My only love sprung from my only hate! /Too early seen unknown, and known too late! /Prodigious birth of love it is to me /That I must love a loathed enemy” (1.5. 152-55). Although the couple already faces conflict, they are sure of their love for each other.

Even though their relationship is two days old, Romeo and Juliet are ready to commit to marriage. Juliet wants to be sure of their love, so she won’t accept Romeo’s grand promises. She trusts him already. She assures Romeo, “Do not swear at all. /Or, if thou wilt, swear by they gracious self, /Which is the god of my idolatry, /And I’ll believe thee” (2.2. 118-22). Romeo is willing to do anything for Juliet’s love, even if that means facing death. Romeo proclaims, “My life were better ended by their hate /Than death proroguèd, wanting of thy love” (2.2. 82-83). Since marriage is the strongest bond between a couple, and both are ready to fully commit, it is undeniable that the two are in love.

Romeo and Juliet are in love. Some might say it is not real. The argument is that they’ve known each other for two days, and that they are thirteen. It is impossible to find a soul mate under those circumstances. I beg to differ. Romeo and Juliet may be young for our society’s standard age for finding true love, but it is possible at any age. Young love can be true love. Maybe I’m just a romantic, but I believe that true love is possible for anyone, anywhere, even lovers on the opposing sides of a family feud.

I did this for my English class, because the vast majority of my class seemed to think that Romeo and Juliet weren't really in love.