Is It Really Love? | Teen Ink

Is It Really Love?

April 26, 2012
By Pjzombie BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Pjzombie BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I’m your typical teenager, I don’t fully understand the process of life, I'm lazy, I eat a lot, etc. When you hear the word “love” your probably think of Romeo and Juliet or some poem you read on Tublr last night. Do I believe in Teenage Love? Of course. I've feel in love before and it's a beautiful experience, but I’ve also felt my chest rip open and my heart burn in flames. But this isn’t about my love life, this is about teens all around the world confusing love for something less, something that has led teens into peer pressure, high school drop out, and a victim of relationship abuse.

At young age we often get sucked up in peer pressure. We are to young to understand some things in life, that is why we are influenced by our surroundings every day. If your couple smokes, drinks, or simply doesn't always choose to do the right thing we are most likely to fallowing in their steps because we want to “fit in” with the crowd or feel we are obligated to do the same in order to stay in the relationship with that person. Its normal to be peer pressured, it will happen at some point in your life, but when its causing you harm you should fight it off and take the right path in life. There is up to 300 million people living in the Untited States today, Why let one person bring you down?

Each year approximately 1.3 million students fail to graduate from high school. 70 percent girls in high school are drop outs for 1 main reason, pregnancy. Having a child could be stupendous but we are to young to think about starting a family. Why drop out after all your hard work? Think of it like this, you're running a marathon and ¾ near the finish line you give up, don't you think that's kind of silly? Like Tom Bodett once quoted “The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.”

We've all heard of the word “abuse” before, but who would of known that teens have been abused in their relationships by their loved ones? 40 percent of girls from ages 14-17 have been or know of someone who has been abused in their relationship. not saying all relationships out there have physical violence in them,but you can never be to sure what people are capable of doing. Surveys say teens that have took place in an abusive relationship often say “He does it because he loves me” or take responsibility and blame for others actions. Love is care,warmth, and a passionate affect on someone else, we think of love as a sweet peace of candy. Abuse isn't love, its a bitter, sour taste of vicious hurt.

There is different kinds of points of views when we hear the word “love.” There's some who believe that teenage love does exists and others who believe teenage love is just a joke. I personally believe teenage love has a place on earth's surface, but I also believe that as teens we can confuse love for something sick and twisted that has us fall into peer pressure, high school drop out, and a victim of an abusive relationship.