Gay Marriage (Pro) | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage (Pro)

March 22, 2012
By sheschristine BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
sheschristine BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

We all have been judged and criticized for expressing our thoughts and beliefs. But it isn’t fair to be judged by something we can’t mentally control. An example would be the religions around the world. The Catholic Church, as well as Judaism, Christianity, and Islam think that it isn’t morally right to have any kind of relationship with the same sex. According to gaymarrigagesearch.com, statistics say that 41% of people strongly favor gay marriage, 47% strongly oppose, and 10% are unsure. In my opinion, I believe that gay marriage should be acceptable in all places around the world because it shouldn’t matter how old or what gender you are, love is love and no one should tell you otherwise. Therefore, gay marriage should be legalized.

Being gay isn’t something people choose to be. The choice is about deciding how to live your life. I believe that gay people should have the right to express their feelings to others without being judged. At some schools 9 out of 10 kids are bullied, beaten and bashed because they are gay. They take their lives because they feel unaccepted in our society. I don’t think people should die for feeling what they feel. Homosexual behavior was an act of freedom of choice, people should learn to understand and respect other people’s feelings for each other. Gaymarriage.procon.org says “If a gay man or lesbian woman wants to get married, all they need to do is choose not to be gay and marry someone of the opposite sex” What if straight people were forced to love someone they didn’t want to love? Religious beliefs say that it is offending to the bible, but no where it the bible does it say to go against gay marriage. Gay marriage should be legal because they are people and they should have the right to love.

People shouldn’t be judged or frowned upon for having feelings they can’t control. Who are we to say that someone can’t be married to the same sex, we are not God or anyone special to judge others so we can’t tell people how to live their lifestyle. Everyone deserves to be happy and if being gay is something that makes someone feel accepted in this crazy society, then everyone should let them. People should be allowed same rights as men and women. Gay marriage shouldn’t only be legal in 8 states but in all 50 states, maybe perhaps the whole world.

The author's comments:
I was really curious about the current statistics on gay marriage and wondered what made people against it