High School Dating | Teen Ink

High School Dating

March 8, 2012
By Cassidy Davis BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Cassidy Davis BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I looked up into his deep, brown eyes as he caressed my cheek in his hands. Our breathing was slow and steady as he gently moved in for a kiss. As he pulled away, he whispered, “I love you” into my ear, only for my heart to hear. Sounds like a dream? It’s not. This is the story of my current high school relationship. Teens crave the feelings of love, security, and contentedness. Dating in high school teaches young people lessons such as: cooperation, socially-appropriate behavior, empathy, intimacy, sensitivity, and compromise.

What is love? Many adults don’t think that teens know anything about love. The truth is teens know more about love than adults give them credit for. High school relationships are just the beginning and having a boyfriend or girlfriend gives you the opportunity to find what you want in a future spouse. Statistics show that a majority of high school students are, or were, in a relationship with the opposite sex at some point in time. Cooperation plays a big role and being able to communicate with another person helps you to become a better communicator yourself.

“Love is life… and if you miss love, you miss life” – Leo Buscaglia. A high school relationship makes you consider the feelings of another. It is a mystery why some relationships grow and some fail, but teens love the feeling of having someone close both physically and mentally. High school dating is vital to the rest of a person’s relationships. You may end up with a broken heart, but that just means you are one step closer to your happily ever after.

“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged-Cupid painted blind,” is a famous line from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. In a relationship, teen’s personalities and brains are still developing and they experience how the opposite sex reacts in different situations and they learn from their mistakes. During high school dating a teen learns to be kind, loving, feel all their feelings, take care of themselves, and most importantly, to be happy. I remember my freshman year, walking down the hallways seeing the couples smiling and holding hands. All I wanted was someone to look at me with loving eyes and hold me tightly. I’m not alone. There are many more teens like me that want that feeling of being cared for and protected by the opposite sex.

“Last night I looked up into the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars.” In high school relationships, you could actually meet someone who is right for you. High school relationships may not last forever, but they make a big impact on your adult relationships. If you have a healthy relationship now, odds are you will later too. High school dating has been featured in movies from Sixteen Candles to Grease. So it’s no mystery that teens want to experience what they see on the television that famous actors like Molly Ringwald and John Travolta show through their performances.

I find from my experience that dating in high school makes me feel amazing. Knowing that I have someone who can kiss me, hold me in his arms, and whisper sweet things into my ear is priceless. High school relationships are a fun way to express yourself too and find someone who has the same interests as you. When you are ready and you feel like you have found the perfect someone, you can become more serious in your dating life. As for now remember this: You’re only young once, make the best of it.

The author's comments:
My Persuasive Essay for English.