Am I In Love? | Teen Ink

Am I In Love?

September 26, 2011
By DanielleMitchell BRONZE, Sarnia, Other
DanielleMitchell BRONZE, Sarnia, Other
2 articles 1 photo 6 comments

This is the question most people ask themselves throughout there whole lives. To what may be a physical attraction to one human being may be 'true love' to another. Some people fall in and out of love quickly while others never really know if there in love or what there feeling is just lust. Some people may just like the thought of being in love and use others for the title of being a boyfriend or girlfriend.
This question may be the most confusing amongst the most, especially in teens who are just discovering relationships and the word love may be thrown around too often these days leaving teens feeling unloved, broken or even worthless. But for teens the word love is a new concept them and they don't know what to expect. Especially when most relationships are based on social pressures or even on media pressures. Such as in most movies the most popular girl in school must date the quarter-back on the football time.
What is love? What makes you want to be known to other people as there boyfriend or girlfriend. How do I know if I'm in love? How does love end? All of these questions can't be easily answered.
Lust is the most confusing 'love' there is. Lust is powerful, an extremely intense feeling towards another human being. Lust is mainly sexual in nature, someone we can easily fantasize about. It's common or people of all ages to misunderstand lust for love. But why? If lust is just based on sex and physical attraction then how do we get lust and love mixed up constantly? No one knows. Lust is just about physical attraction and acting ONLY of that physical attraction. Love is much more than that.
Yet many teens and adults misunderstand lust or love. It may be mixed up since of pop-culture sells sex and love as one package. And I believe this is why lust and love are continually mixed up.
Lust is clearly not love. Love is much more. Love is about friendship, caring for one another, commitment and trust. Now your probably thinking about your best friend or even neighbour but love also when you feel physically attracted to that one person. Love is the best of BOTH worlds. Love is totally surrendering your most inter thoughts and feelings with that one person. Someone you can see having a future with and never seeing yourself unhappy. Love is the most beautiful thing on earth.
But the question still remains, how do you know if you are in love? And that is a question only you yourself can answer.


The author's comments:
When I wrote this piece I had two people in mind. My best friend who I lusted after for 2 years and my current boyfriend. I am hoping that people will read this article and see that lust isn't a form of love because lust doesn't have trust, commitment, or any regard for the other person. It's just lust. I can't stand seeing teens cry or commit suicide for something that was just list and not true love.