Love and the Opposite Argument | Teen Ink

Love and the Opposite Argument

By BriannaLeigh SILVER, Paw Paw, West Virginia
BriannaLeigh SILVER, Paw Paw, West Virginia

"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

Have you ever been so absolutely, positively, head-over-heels in love with someone that you can’t seem to stop thinking about them? When you would do anything for them-jump in front of a bullet for them, even? Marriage, for example, is a key step to showing your love-to show them that you’re committed to loving that one person forever. What if that person was your gender?

Same sex marriages are debated over, fought over, and craved for. The fact of the matter is this-if you love someone, truly love someone, than you can’t help that. Wasn’t that what Shakespeare was saying when he introduced Romeo and Juliet? And Jane Eyre couldn’t help but love Mr. Rochester. Love is love, and I think something so universal should be respected.

Marriage is possibly the most traditional way to show your love for someone. It illustrates commitment and devotion to a significant other. Why should people of the same sex be denied that experience? Many young men and women are raised to believe that marriage is the only way to truly begin a relationship-and some feel restricted when they are denied the opportunity.

In addition, many young men and women are raised on certain morals. One of those may be that they feel uncomfortable starting a family without the option of marriage. Same sex couples, just like everyone else, deserve the option of starting a comfortable family. Why segregate against those who can’t help not what they are, but how they feel?
Same sex marriages aren’t something that should need to be debated over. They aren’t something that takes a lot of thought, or arguments. A marriage is a marriage, and people waste too much time on thinking about another’s personal life; if they have a personal opinion than it should stay that way-personal. Just for a millisecond, just a tiny part of your day, try to really think about it. If there’s someone that came to your mind when I spoke earlier about love, than think of them now. What if millions of people treated you like you were strange, or different? What if you were told you couldn’t marry that one person? If there was even a law against it? Same sex marriage is just marriage, much as love is just love.

This piece is something that I would like for others to process about same sex marriages, if only so others are at least exposed to the idea of it. It's not a problem, it's not worth an argument, it's just love.

Savy said...
I also agree. Your a amazing writer! Keep up the good work! 

Brianna said...
Great article..very well written and I agree with your points:)