Nonexistance | Teen Ink

Nonexistance

I’ll start this off real simple.

Love does not exist.

There, I said it. Now before any of you attack me on this issue, let me repeat myself one more time before continuing.

Love can’t exist.

There, maybe that’s a little better? No? Fine, just let me explain myself.

We live in a world—a world of such false hope, where everywhere we go, we are bombarded with the notion that love is magical. We are fed lies that there is a such thing as “true love.” In this made-up world many of us seem to buy into, ideas like soul mates exist!

But think about it…

No, really. Think about it. What is love? A strong affection for another being?

How can such a strong affection bring forth so much pain and suffering? How can a simple affection allow people to do such crazy things? How can a vile meaning like love actually exist in this world?

It can’t. It’s as simple as that. Something that pains so many of us, that requires so much work, cannot exist in this world. How can it? How can two people remain in this so called “love,” and lead a carefree life with no problems?

Well, I guess I, like most people, have misunderstood. Love isn’t this feeling that makes all the problems in the world go away.

Let’s face it—it only brings forth more unresolved issues. But in the midst of these issues, a new feeling sparks. It’s a feeling of invincibility. It’s a feeling that life just wouldn’t mean as much without someone or something else. It’s like a child with a blanket—love is an undying source of comfort.

And yet, it requires work—lots of it. But then again, love must mean something so special. After all, people fight for it and die for it. Love has to exist because without it, this world would be such a dark, shallow, and frigid place.

Love. It’s something I never really believed in until I took a deeper look. And one day, I’ll have that feeling. One day, I’ll know what it’s like to fall in love, and only then, like most other people in this world, will I know never to question such a powerful force.

burningxobeauty, Parma, Ohio

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

That is so true.. The will and want of love to fill something inside drives most people, and I think that's why divorce rates go up. People want so much to be loved by someone that they will do anything to get it, even if it means marrying someone you're incompatible with.

$inamon said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 8:44 am
Human beings are naturally both good and bad. Love is the desire to make ourselves as good as possible for another person. But like you said, it can cause pain. But if you're willing to brave it, there is so much good that can come out of it. If you ask me, its not love, but the will to love that matters.