Do I Know You? | Teen Ink

Do I Know You?

By salmaroxursocks SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
salmaroxursocks SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

to fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already 3000 parts dead.

They always say nobody knows you better than your parents. Being a teenager, I always disagreed, and thought, "that's just something parents tell you to try to convince you they know how you think." I never thought I would change my mind about that. Until I sat down and did some serious thinking.
In every point in a teenagers life, they enter conflict with an adult. It could be a parent, aunt, uncle, anybody. And you would always say things like, "you guys don't know how I feel!" You would think to yourself, "what do they know", or "they don't know what I'm going through." Maybe your right- they don't know how you truly feel, but most likely, they do.
Okay, so it's not like your parents were adults forever. At one point in their lives, they were teenagers, just like me and you. People would try to explain that to me, and my brain would scream, "well they were in a different time!" and, "Things have most definitely changed since they were teenagers. Me and my mother would always argue and I would convince myself that we were two different people and that she didn't know me at all. My quote to live by when it came to my parents was, "You would have to walk a thousand miles in my shoes just to figure out what it would be like to be me." Boy was I wrong.
When I thought about it, I realized my mom knows me better than anyone. She know what makes me cry, and what makes me laugh, she knows what makes angry, and what can get me excited to the point where I can't sit down. She is also the one that brought me into this world; showed me right from wrong, and what is truly important in life. Sometimes I grieve about not realizing all of this before. My mom trusts me and believes me, although she has caught me in a tangle of lies, but then again, I get doubtful when I hear something I don't like, even though my mom is the most honest person you will ever meet. Me and my mom definitely have our moments, good and bad. I may mouth off to her sometimes but she is the quickest to forgive me, meanwhile it might take me a week to forgive her for not getting me the shirt that I wanted. I'm not saying we still won't have our ups and downs, but never again will I think she doesn't understand me. Truth is, she knows me better than anyone, and never gives up on me, despite my failures and constant drama queen tantrums. I could never be more thankful for that. Thank you mom, for sticking by me and supporting me on my hopes and dreams. Without you, I wouldn't be able to be the person I am to this very day. With you at my side I am assured I will never fail- and hope to grow up to be an extraordinary woman, just like yourself.

My amazing mother is the one that inspired me to write this story. She is the most important person in my life and I feel like sometimes I don't appreciate that enough, and hope that after people read my piece they will change their views on how they see their parents.