Legalize Love! Same Sex Marriages | Teen Ink

Legalize Love! Same Sex Marriages

June 7, 2011
By AllieMae SILVER, Los Lunas, New Mexico
AllieMae SILVER, Los Lunas, New Mexico
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe


For the longest time a black man and a white woman could not be married, but that changed when African Americans were given the same rights as whites. The way I see it, legalizing same sex marriages is the same situation. Gay people are basically being told “You can’t marry someone you love, because of who YOU are, because it’s not right or normal and against traditions!” But if you are truly in love with someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them, what does the sex of the person matter? Marriage is a partnership between two people who love each other, where does it say they HAVE to be a man and a woman? Only five states in the Unites States allow same sex marriages, five! That means that more than 40 states are against same sex marriages. The only states that do allow same sex marriages are Massachusetts, Iowa, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Columbia. So two straight people have more of a right than two gay people? Were all people and we should all have the same amount of rights and respect for one another, no matter what sexuality. The Government shouldn’t have the right to dictate how OTHER people live their lives, because it’s not their choice. Religion is also a big part of whether or not there should be same sex marriages, its Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve right? Yes many religions are against same sex relationships, but many people have many different religious beliefs. Many gay people happen to be very religious despite their way of life. Many people believe that if two of the same sex raise a child their child will be gay as well, when in reality that is rarely true. Straight couples have gay children and gay couples have straight children most of the time. My aunt and her girlfriend both have a daughter and they are both straight. Another reason why same sex marriages are so apposed is because straight marriages can produce more children and many people believe we need this, but isn’t the world over populated enough? There are so many children that need to be adopted rather than just having more children. Many people are apposed to homosexuality all together because they believe that homosexuality is unnatural, but did you know that many animals have sexual encounters with the same sex, such as dolphins, some birds, and sheep’s. Yes men and women marriages are a tradition and have been for a very long time, but the world has changed in so many ways over time, this is just one more thing that the world should change and be more open about. Were all people, we all deserve the same amount of love and respect for one another, no matter what sexuality.


The author's comments:
This is a subject that I feel very strongly about because it hits close to home. I hope that people will change the way they think about homosexuality and how they treat all people in general. Because when it comes down to it, were all people, we all bleed red.