What are men? | Teen Ink

What are men?

By KarimaG BRONZE, Cardiff, Other
KarimaG BRONZE, Cardiff, Other

What are men? The dictionary says that a man is a human being who carries the Y chromosome. So is that just it? Is the only difference between a man and a woman genetic? I think we should look at this from a woman’s point of view.
Although I would like to be all feminist and say that men have no power over the opposite sex, I can’t. There is something about them that is so captivating and so intriguing and utterly unexplainable. Why is it that they can make us feel on top of the world or in depths of despair? I think it is the difference between us. We can never be who they are and that’s why we have the need to get so close to them. They are like mystical creatures whom you will never fully understand but spend your whole life trying to.
The first man in your life will be your father. Although there is nothing romantic between you, you will still feel like he is your God. It is scientifically proven that daughters are closer to their fathers than they are to their mothers. It might be because with another woman you don’t have that curiosity, that hunger to make them yours. You are equals, the same.
But of course the main part of the influence of the male species starts when you hit puberty and after that your whole life. At that time everything you do is dependent on the other sex. I think I can say this for both men and women. When in kindergarten everyone plays together; the time you start primary school you can see little groups of giggling girls and gangs of boys trying to be men. I guess the separation happens because we start noticing the differences.
That line between boys and girls fades, when they start high school. This is the time when most girls get their hearts broken. And I think this is the time when we’re most dependant on men. The influence the most popular boy in school can have on the nerdy girl who always sits alone at lunch is impenetrable. The way that a simple human being can make our hearts bound and our heads get dizzy by just giving us a fraction of their attention is just bizarre. I don’t think we will ever fully understand it.
As I already mentioned men and women are completely different. But how? Is it only the DNA and visual characteristics or is it that men never shed a tear while watching Titanic? I think it’s both. Some higher power has made us different so we need each other. We complete each other and when we find the right one we go together perfectly like two pieces of a puzzle. That might sound silly but I believe that there is someone for everyone. But only the fortunate ones among us find them before it’s too late.
I have been talking about the inestimable influence men have over women but we shouldn’t underestimate the power a women could have over a man. Even through history we see men who have betrayed their friends, families and even their countries just to be with a woman.
The thing we need to decide now is do we really want to find out who men are? I’m not so sure. We are only so fascinated because we don’t know them. It’s like when you give a child a shiny new toy you can’t get him or her from it for the next few days. But after that the attraction fades because the child begins to know the toy. He gets used to it. Wouldn’t it be in our best interest then to never get used to men so we would never lose the magnetism between male and female? Or are we going too far comparing men to inanimate objects? I guess there is no point of arguing over that because we will never know the truth. As the French say, „Vive la différence“.

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I agree with this. Totally... :)

annasheart BRONZE, Ft.collins, Colorado

do not believe in things you hear unless it is true

i think this is amazing i think you are right we feel as thou we need to understand them lol its like you totally read my mind today :D >.<

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

That was really really good !!!!!!!!! CB